Thread: Just a question

Just a question

I'm currently having a course of CBT for an eating disorder, now my anxiety levels have been very high.

In the next session she wants to induce these high anxiety levels in a controlled environment to show me how to cope and bring the levels down.

has anyone done this in a controlled way with a therapist and did you find it helpful.

I'm just not feeling to sure on this.

any advice or experiences would be welcome xxx

Re: Just a question

I take it no one has any experience of this then

Re: Just a question

Hi Leanne,
    Just saw this message thread.
    I can't say that I've been in therapy session where she's purposefully tried to induce high anxiety levels in me. Sounds a bit hardcore! But I can understand it that it could be useful! As you say it would be in a safe environment, so it might work.

FWIW
    Mostly the sessions were based around me describing things that were likely to upset me or had during the past week, and then find better ways of thinking about it so it would be less upsetting in the future. On a few occasions though just explaining what was bothering me made me upset, even though that wasn't the aim! So then the therapist went through some role plays with me on what I could do or say instead of getting upset in real life, or else something that might help and could manage even when upset.

I guess if you find you're not happy doing what she suggests, it's better to let her know that and not find yourself leaving a session in and even more unhappy and anxious state. Good luck.

Thread Information