Thread: Side effects of Citalopram

Side effects of Citalopram

Dear all,
    I really need your help.
    I started having panic attacks last week, but they developed into more generalised anxiety this week. I took a couple of Lorazepam this week and started to feel better, but still a little anxious. My doctor recommended that I go on the Citalopram, so I took 20 mg this morning. I have been in absolute agony with stomach pains for 6 hours, but it has started to subside. I don't think I can go through it tomorrow; should I half the dose, not take it and go to the doctor, or take it in the evening with a sleeping tablet so that I can sleep through it?
    Please help I feel desperate!

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

It sounds like maybe you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome, as I don't think 1 tablet would make you feel like that.

Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Thanks for your reply, I took 20mg today and it wasn't too bad, but had to take Lorazepam again because am feeling more anxious than ever, am assuming this is the Citalopram. Any idea how long these side effects will last?

Hi
    That should last a couple of weeks but do stick with them.It takes a while for your body to adjust!
    I have been on them 3months and i do find they take the edge of the panick and anxiety.If you need anymore advice please feel free to pm me.xxx

Thanks for your advice, it's really good to have people to talk to who are going through it! Am worried about taking the Lorazepam; should I just try to cope with the panic or take it to stop the panic?

take it for now hun because the heightened anxiety may last afew weeks!But do stick with themxxx

If you are worried about it, I think you should go to your doctor. Try not to worry hunni. Hope this helps.

Scooby2005
    x x

Thank you so much guys for your kind words.
    I'm going to stick at the Citalopram and try to put up with the strange thoughts they are giving me!
    Am debating whether I should go back to work, is it better to push yourself or wait for the drugs to work?

Hi Sally
    I had stomach pain and needed to rush to the loo within an hour of taking citalopram, very common side effect but it does wear off. I took it 4 years ago and it helped, just about to start it again now, but like you worried about side effects.
    Keep going

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Thread Information