Thread: OCD about other people's lives?

OCD about other people's lives?

I'm not sure how to put this really...but I suspect someone close to be has pretty severe OCD, though the unusual thing about the OCD is that it doesn't concern her cleanliness, her life, or really her own routine in any sense. She obsessively thinks and worries about other people's routines, and if they're slightly irregular she'll panic, be distraught, shout, scream and rage!

I have no idea how to deal with this to be honest. She's quite consumed with worries and panic about other people's routines, and I want her to get better and be happier, but I have no idea how to go about this or encourage it. advice would be very welcome.

(this is probably quite vague...if you need further detail, or whatever, ask and I'll try to write it better).

Re: OCD about other people's lives?

Well if you feel you can address this issue with your friend i have a couple of links that may help you and your friend.

http://www.ocduk.org/

The link below has amazing articles, i have been using the techniques about my what if worries that i suffer from.

http://www.ocdonline.com/articlesphillipson.php

Good Luck.

Thanks for those links

She denies having any problem. Once or twice I've suggested she might have OCD, but she shouts at me and gets upset. I suppose the person has to be receptive to help?

If she denies having a Problem she is delusional.
    She could have a personality disorder as they are often unaware they have a problem.

Don't change to please her , that won't help .
    What sort of things set her off ?
    What's she like in general ?

Quote Originally Posted by mishel View Post
    If she denies having a Problem she is delusional.
    She could have a personality disorder as they are often unaware they have a problem.

Don't change to please her , that won't help .
    What sort of things set her off ?
    What's she like in general ?
    She's delusional....hmm, well I've thought that myself more than a few times. She seems to be convinced that when other people's routines are slightly out of order something dreadful will happen. I hoped this might not be that different to how people with OCD believe that they're at some dreadful risk of infection and disease (for example), so have to scrub their hands so much? Don't people with OCD who haven't started recovery yet believe that their worries about infection, or whatever, are correct?

Personality disorder? I hope that's not true

Things that set her off. Well, above all she's obsessed with other people's eating habits. If I skip breakfast just once she gets very distressed, and rages until she gets her own way!

In general? well, I don't think she's like someone with a personality disorder? She can be very thoughtful and sweet.

Thread Information