Thread: Is this OCD?

Is this OCD?

I've been having a tough time lately due to anxiety, stress and intrusive/invasive thoughts, I was having thoughts and a fear of being a cannibal, pedophile, commiting incest, hurting people and being gay/bi/transgendered, The cannibal thoughts started first and immediately brushed it off but it didn't go away and I became frightened by it, this would go on and off and the more I suppressed it the more intense they became and I felt disgusted by it and would avoid eating meat and not look at people.

Re: Is this OCD?

I don't know about it being OCD, but it is fairly common in anxiety states to have invasive thoughts. I have not had the same ones as you in the past, but I bet there are people who have, and mine have been pretty awful but in different ways.....it is almost like your mind dredges up the things you find most repulsive and 'nightmareish' and tells you to think about them ! I bet they go once your high anxiety level lowers.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Sorry, forgot to add, don't be afraid that you are going mad or that you will act on these frightening thoughts, you won't, they are just your mind playing tricks on you. Easy to say I know when the thoughts are so alarming and constantly plaguing you.

Re: Is this OCD?

Also began having a taste in my mouth like either thirst or the feeling of hunger and the thoughts came along and I began to drink glasses of water constantly and always making a beeline for the kitchen and drinking glasses of water to get rid of the metallic taste or thirst in my mouth and try to ignore it, I would end up crying and being in fear/worry of this and just want to stay in bed all day and just stay there, if anyone can help me out I would be grateful, Thank you.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

@Carys thanks for the advice, I've had my family tell me just not to overthink everything that I think about, it's just I get highly agitated when these happen like it's probably just my imagination and think about different scenarios in my head as an escape mentally, I'm currently on propranolol and have been referred to a counsellor on the NHS, Again thanks again Carys greatly appreciated!

Thread Information