Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hyper awareness of bodily processes and sensations

hyper awareness of bodily processes and sensations

I was just wondering if anyone out there with anxiety suffers with being hyper aware of bodily processes and sensations... to the point where you can become fixated on particular parts of the body?

Re: hyper awareness of bodily processes and sensations

Yes, especially as I get frequent panic attacks and so I self scan all the time. My worst area is my tummy as I can feel EVERYTHING that happens in there. I am obsessed with it as I have a phobia of being sick and I have constant nausea.

Thanks for sharing your experience.... it really is unpleasant isnt it?

I used to when I had panic attacks. My main symptom would be dizziness, so I'd be hyper vigilant about sensations of moving and spinning. It meant I was very uneasy and bordering on feelings of terror a lot of the time. so yeah Butterfly it really sucks, I feel for you.

Butterfly22 - Hyper awareness of bodily functions is a frequent symptom of anxiety. It's difficult because then it fuels further tensions and worries, which all turns into a vicious cycle of anxiety.

rocklover - A loved one of mine also focuses a lot on her tummy which seems to be a common area of the body to have concerns over. Your phobia of being sick is certainly going to keep your thoughts fixated on this region.

I found that I often held my breath as well, when focusing on sensations in my body, which of course then contributed to a panic attack or general unease.

I am like this too. Subconsciously your mind focusses on what it is worried about so a bodily sensation that a non-anxiety sufferer might dismiss or barely notice can become all-consuming to an anxious person.

Like no-moving-lines my problem is dizziness. I do genuinely suffer with vertigo and the attacks of that are unmistakeable, everything swimming and spinning when I move. But, outside of that, I'm really really hyper-vigilent about dizziness and motion and then end up feeling woozy and light-headed all the time and especially at times of panic. Like today at work, I felt awful when I was going there, once I'd 'settled' in a bit my lightheadedness passed. During the afternoon I had to go to a meeting and leading up to it I felt dreadful- really lightheaded and unwell - I knew I was panicked about not being able to leave if I felt unwell. Once I was in it it was actually a relaxed meeting with people coming and going so I felt ok. After the meeting, guess what...I felt fine. Now I'm safe at home I feel better than I have all day.

Thank you for your great replies.... they are very helpful

Hi, I don't come on here much these days, but I just noticed your message. I dealt with this problem of hyperawareness with I had CBT at the end of last year.

I'd always tried to deal with things like this by distracting myself, but it doesn't necessarily work all the time. He said that a good way to deal with it was by acknowledging the feelings, by saying to yourself, "Yes, I notice this, but it's my body functioning because I'm alive." Then carry on doing what you're doing. It's a learned process, so it takes a while, but it does work.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for that blueangel, really helpful xx

Yes.. I used to focus a lot on lightheadedness and then when another symptom bothered me the diziness went away.. recently I had a taste bud slightly raised which im told is common..my focus went there and then I started to get a sensation as if a tiny crumb was stuck at back of throat. I rinsed , brushed and so on..the feeling lasted couple hours, went away and then I suddenly thought today oh that things disappeared...minutes later it was back !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information