Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast clinic referral

Breast clinic referral - Update

I went to see my GP to get my breasts checked last month as they were feeling lumpy and didn't want to scare myself checking. Thought it would be best to get a dr to do it - Anyway, she examined me and said that she could feel a lumpy area and that she wasn't concerned that it was anything sinister. She told me to come back in one month and she would examine me again just to check nothing had changed.

I went back this morning and she said that she thought the lumpy area had got bigger so would like me to go to the breast clinic and get scanned. She mentioned that she wasn't 'overly worried' Does that mean she is kind of worried? She said the lumpy area is moveable and smooth which is a good sign, but I am freaking out now.

I had a lump checked out 3 years ago (all ok) and know how horrible the appointment and waiting is...so scared to have to go through this again. I can feel my HA getting worse, all the what if's etc.

Sorry for moaning, just needed a rant....
    Last edited by Mondie; 29-11-11 at 13:53.

Re: Breast clinic referral

Sounds like you have a really good GP, that cares a lot to put your mind at rest x

Hi, just want to say I know what you're going through. A couple of weeks ago I was referred to the Breast Clinic for the same problem....lumps that had gotten bigger. After a mammogram they asked me to take an ultrasound too, which had me worried at the time. The lumps however turned out to be benign...one is an inch and a half and getting slowly bigger, the other is small. Both are cysts. I was told I can leave them be but if they give any more trouble...the big one is painful...I can have them removed or aspirated (?) which is where they insert a needle to drain off the fluid.
    I too went through the what if's, especially because female members of my family were prone to cancer. In the end though I realised I'd rather know and have it over and done with.
    Good luck with your scan, hopefully they'll be benign cysts. Can I ask what age you are? I'm 50 and was told the menopause can play merry hell with our breasts re lumps and pains.

Thanks for your replies - I'm 34 years old so hope it's not the menopause already. I have just had a phone call from the hospital giving me an appointment in 2 weeks. Why have they called so quickly? I mean it was literally 2 hours after leaving the doctors...my GP must be very worried to do it so quickly....Oh god help me....

Hi Mondie

Please do not overly fret ..............your doctor will have faxed the referral through to dept as is usual .......hence quick appt for clinic .
    There are guidelines made by NICE and government that all referrals are seen within two weeks. So this again is quite normal and not your doctor sending urgent message to hospital honest.
    hope this helps ..waiting is awful I know though
    take care xx

Thanks, I'm just really scared and hate waiting...wish I could go now.

It's just the fact that it has got bigger that has me worried. I've been in a permanent state of craziness since this morning. I'm home alone today so have no one to tell until my husband comes home later...

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

Sorry to go on, but I'm really scared...how am I meant to wait 2 weeks?

Mondie my heart goes out to you ........sorry it is me again but feel for you so much because have been going through same awful waiting with family .

perhaps ring the dept on Monday and tell them you are having treatment for anxiety and if they can get you in quicker re cancellation you will take it .
    Also if they have nurse you can talk to re your fears .

It is horrendous waiting sweetheart ...it is . But keep your rational head on when you can . It is not worrying your doc too much and she has been careful and has referred you for peace of mind [which is the last thing you have now I know]

Stay busy if you can .........I cant ............but it is good advice .
    remember most lumps and thickening is those damn hormones ....not the C .

Hi Mondie,

thinking of you, and ive pm you.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne. Snowgoose you are so kind - I've been reading about what you are going through at the moment and I'm so grateful you stopped by to think of me.
    Thank you xx

This is the longest wait I have ever had to endure...how can I stop panicking? I keep as busy as I can, but as soon as I stop, I get a wave of cold fear run through my body. I am convinced the doctor lied to me and that she knows that something is wrong...All the little things that she said or have happened are too convenient to just be coincidence...
    *sigh*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information