Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imipramine - anyone tried it?

Imipramine - anyone tried it?

I am going to be prescribed Imipramine because I cannot tolerate SSRIs, has anyone ever taken it before and how did you find it?

Re: Imipramine - anyone tried it?

Hi ive not tried it myself but my sister has, she found it helped her sleep but unfortunatly she had to switch to sertraline as they just didnt lift her depression enough, dont think she suffered much side effects from them either, there one of the older style ad and only reason she tried it was because its safe in pregnancy and eventually she wanted another baby! Fingers crossed they work 4 you x x

HI Rocklover
    Not been on Imipramine .........but one of the sister tricyclic meds called Lofepramine .
    Took that with Dosulpin at night . I could not stand the ssris either . I had bad agitated anxiety /depression . could not keep still .
    No bad effects other than dry mouth and spaced out feeling [which was relief to tell truth ] .Oh and body jerks when falling asleep .
    I thank my doctor for his wisdom in putting me on these so called old fashioned meds . It got my life back .....so hope it will for you. less tummy effects I found
    Give them a go .

Thanks, I will be giving them a go, just hope they work. I have panic disorder (I have multiple attaacks a day) and severe anxiety along with depression caused by these conditions.

I just cannot seem to tolerate the SSRIs (I'm a total wimp and give up easily), but I get extremely bad nausea, my anxiety is worse and I get worse panic attacks. I also tried mirtazapine, but that didn't help much so I was taken off it.

I am totally desperate now.

I suffer panic attacks and anxiety so know exactly what your going thro its truly horrible, ive also tried dosulpin but unfortuantly had to go back on citalopram and have endured wks of horrific side effects, hope they work for you i really do x x

Can people tell me what sort of doseages of this they are on please. I am on 25 mg but it doesnt touch the sides. I also cant take ssris either

My sisters phychatrist told her 25mg was like popping a smartie a day! Its a v low dose x x

I was on Imipramine this time last year whilst in a psychiatric ward. It was the first anti-depressant invented. I was titrated up to 50mg but unforunately it caused me to have low blood pressure, especially when standing from sitting (hypotension). I am very sensitive to meds and have only ever been on low doses of any anti-depressants. My psychiatrist wanted me to stay on 25mg as he said there is no such thing as a therapeatic dose, it depends on the patient, but I asked to be switched to sertraline as that is the only SSRI I hadn't been on. I'm now on 50mg Sertraline and diazepam and zopiclone. It is meant to be very effective in treating anxiety.

My psychiatrist is very experienced and he uses Imipramine a lot for patients with anxiety.

Before SSRI's, Imipramine was considered the "Gold Standard" treatment for anxiety.

Good Luck. x

Hi Rocklover,

I haven't taken Imipramine but I take another tricyclic, Lofepramine, at a pretty high dose and I find it works well. I couldn't tolerate the SSRIs either - made me agitated, blunted my emotions and killed my libido. I've done much better on the tricyclic.

Imipramine is a pretty strong inhibitor of serotonin re-uptake, so it's possible you may get some annoying side effects if you didn't do too well on the SSRIs, but from what I've heard it's a pretty effective medicine for anxiety and panic and you may tolerate it very well. No way to know except by trying right?

If you find the side effects overwhelming, you might want to ask your doctor about tricyclics that target noradrenaline more than serotonin (e.g. desipramine, lofepramine). I know a couple of others (and me) who generally don't tolerate serotonergic drugs (tricyclics and SSRIs) very well but seem to do just fine on meds that act more on noradrenaline.

Good luck!

Meds:
    Lofepramine
    Remeron
    Tapering off Xanax
    Lyrica trial-run in progress!

Hi all I was just wandering if Amitriptyline is the same type of AD as the ones you have been talking about ie Imipramine and Lofepramine ? As I have just started taking it. As didn't like taking the citalopram.

Cathy xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information