Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imipramine - anyone tried it?

Re: Imipramine - anyone tried it?

Hi Cathy,

It is in the same class of antidepressants, the tricyclics. It's more serotonin-focused than Lofepramine though. So closer to imipramine in mechanism of action. But they're all tricyclics

Meds:
    Lofepramine
    Remeron
    Tapering off Xanax
    Lyrica trial-run in progress!

Quote Originally Posted by cathycrumble View Post
    Hi all I was just wandering if Amitriptyline is the same type of AD as the ones you have been talking about ie Imipramine and Lofepramine ? As I have just started taking it. As didn't like taking the citalopram.

Cathy xx
    Yes. Amitriptyline and Imipramine are very similar. Often used for anxiety as they have sedating properties. Still widely prescribed today despite their age as they can be very effective.

Sorry, can't comment on the other drug mentioned. Never been on it.

Haz.x

Thanks for that I am on 25mg of amitriptyline gp has given me 50mg so may go up in a few days the drynes in the nose and mouth seem to be fading a bit.

Cathy xx

Thought I'd come back to this thread just to give some feed back on the Imipramine. I am now on 150mg a day and I'm tolerating it really well, the only side effects I get are dizziness on standing up to quickly or bending down and i get very sleepy for hour a few hours after taking it.

I have also stopped having panic attacks, although I still get anxious in the morning, but on the whole I feel that Imipramine is giving me my life back.

Hi rocklover
    so pleased to hear that you are finding the Tricyclic meds helpful .
    I could not tolerate the SSRIs ...and found Lofepramine and Dosulpin got my life back.
    I know they are for depression usually and old fashioned .........but my main illness was anxiety based with depression as a result.
    They may be old fashioned .........but they worked for me . Wish the docs today would look back on these tricyclics ........
    The side effects are bearable. Nothing like my experience on Proxac.
    The NICE guidelines say that they are dangerous in overdose ....eh ? and the docs are told to prescribe Ssris now . Blanket meds for all . Not the case x
    keep well
    hugs snow

Quote Originally Posted by rocklover View Post
    Thought I'd come back to this thread just to give some feed back on the Imipramine. I am now on 150mg a day and I'm tolerating it really well, the only side effects I get are dizziness on standing up to quickly or bending down and i get very sleepy for hour a few hours after taking it.

I have also stopped having panic attacks, although I still get anxious in the morning, but on the whole I feel that Imipramine is giving me my life back.
    So pleased for you xx

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoose View Post
    Hi rocklover
    so pleased to hear that you are finding the Tricyclic meds helpful .
    I could not tolerate the SSRIs ...and found Lofepramine and Dosulpin got my life back.
    I know they are for depression usually and old fashioned .........but my main illness was anxiety based with depression as a result.
    They may be old fashioned .........but they worked for me . Wish the docs today would look back on these tricyclics ........
    The side effects are bearable. Nothing like my experience on Proxac.
    The NICE guidelines say that they are dangerous in overdose ....eh ? and the docs are told to prescribe Ssris now . Blanket meds for all . Not the case x
    keep well
    hugs snow
    They are VERY dangerous in overdose. I know this from personal experience. I was VERY lucky and suffered no lasting effects. In my opinion this is the reason SSRI's are marketed as having less side effects. I don't think SSRI's have less side effects than the old tricylics - just different ones.

---------- Post added at 21:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rocklover View Post

That's great. As I said previously, Imipramine is meant to be very good for anxiety. Unfortunately, the hypotension you mention affected me quite badly at a much lower dose.

Agree Haz
    But better than a med that does not work and drives you to such despair to overdose thoughts anyway . better you dont get that low I think .
    And I do know about that.
    Just think with careful planning and good care from GP who knows your history that these meds are overlooked . So many here on this forum suffering on Ssris .
    just my thoughts though and get what you are saying .
    They worked for me . .......just a suggestion for those who feel they have tried everything else and see what their doctors suggest next.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by snowgoose View Post
    Agree Haz
    But better than a med that does not work and drives you to such despair to overdose thoughts anyway . better you dont get that low I think .
    And I do know about that.
    Just think with careful planning and good care from GP who knows your history that these meds are overlooked . So many here on this forum suffering on Ssris .
    just my thoughts though and get what you are saying .
    They worked for me . .......just a suggestion for those who feel they have tried everything else and see what their doctors suggest next.
    x
    Absolutely! They should definitely still have a place in today's prescribing. And they're dirt cheap as well. x

I have been prescribed Amitriptyline. Good to hear that they are effective against anxiety. I was on citalopram for 12 weeks, and the doc wanted to move me over to prozac which I refused. She said that Venaflaxine was a 3rd line choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information