Thread: Newbie here... Breathing issues??

Newbie here... Breathing issues??

Hello Everyone...

This is my first ever post!

So... I've always been a "worrier". When I was a teenager it was on the news that mobile phones can give you a brain tumor - so naturally I was convinced I had one. Every year I'm convinced that Swine Flu is an unavoidable fate - I haven't had it yet though! You get my drift... Lol!

So, my GP has diagnosed me with having an anxiety problem.

My Dad died unexpectedly in January and ever since I've become more and more obsessed with my health.

I'm aware that I'm doing it - I know I'm being irrational and silly but that doesn't stop me from working myself into a complete state.

The most common theory is that my heart is going to give out at any moment... I'm 27 and apart from being overweight I'm pretty healthy, don't smoke/drink etc.

Lately - this past 2 weeks really, I've developed this weird deep breathing thing..?

It started out as a slight feeling that I couldn't breathe in properly... Like there was a slight obstruction in my windpipe - or that my throat was slightly more closed over than usual.

So naturally I jumped straight in at the deep end - tumor in my throat, lung cancer - my personal fave, heart problems again. And, after a few days I noticed that I seemed to be sighing a lot more than usual?

Then a few days later it seemed like I was doing it constantly! I don't know what it is - I have this constant urge to suck as much air into my lungs as possible?!

I have my little "episodes" where I think - "Oh God, there is something wrong with me, I'm not imagining it, there is definitely something wrong" and I take these massive slow gulps of breath like it's going to help me but I'm sure it's making me worse.

I've never experienced anything like this before... I can't seem to stop doing it and it's making the muscles around my ribs and between my should blades ache (queue more thoughts of serious illnesses) where I must be really giving my respritory muscles a workout!!

Has anyone else experienced this?? I've heard of people having anxiety attacks but I always imagine people frantically hyperventilating into a paper bag, not taking slow, huge breaths?

My GP wants me to go and see him this week to discuss medication... I'm really nervous about it... Anyone advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks x

Re: Newbie here... Breathing issues??

Hi Amy, welcome!
    I'm really sorry to hear about your Dad - it seems to be quite often that people say their anxiety came on after a loved one passed way, especially if it was unexpected. It's not irrational or silly, this is your way of dealing with it. I am often calling myself silly for my anxiety and I reckon we should give ourselves a break! Although we can take responsibility for our anxiety, it's not like we've failed and could stop it by 'pulling our socks up', it just happens!!

I have pretty much the same worries as you... The focus was on my heart giving out/stopping/going crazy and I was terrified. Now I have uncomfortable breathing and it's there on and off every day, has been for about 3 weeks - it's like I've become too aware of my breathing and tune into it so often. It's annoying and hard dealing with it all the time! I also take in a deep breath quite often almost to 'test' that I can still breathe! I don't know what we can do about this really... Have you tried abdominal breathing / do you know how to do it?

Thanks Blondinou!

I feel exactly the same - I feel like I'm constantly too aware of my breathing! It's like it's not a natural reflex for me anymore, it's like I'm having to constantly make an effort to try to breathe normally!I've also been suffering with Vertigo for about a month now - I'm not sure if that's related?!

I haven't heard of abdominal breathing...?

I'm really wary of going onto medication... I have a 7 year old little boy and a 15 month old baby girl to stay "sane" for and I'm worried that I might experience side effects that will affect how I am with my kids..?

Urgh, being a grown-up is pants! Lol!

Vertigo/lightheadedness is a really common anxiety symptom but it could also be an inner ear problem, maybe get the doctor to check out your ears if you haven't already?

How I practise abdominal breathing:
    - drop your shoulders and relax (you might suddenly become aware that you've been holding yourself really tense, which can make your chest feel constricted!)
    - place your hand on your belly and take a deep breath in through your nose, breathing from your stomach (rather than shallowly from the top of your chest) so you can feel your belly push out against your hand (after a while you can stop holding your belly, it's just so that you can feel that you're doing it right initially)
    - then breathe steadily and slowly out through your mouth
    The best way to keep going with nice slow, calm breaths is to count the breath in for 7 and the breath out for 11. Count the numbers through in your head.
    Do this for at least a few minutes, apparently about 3 minutes is how long it takes to re-balance your oxygen/carbon dioxide (it is this being out balance that can contribute to anxious feelings)
    Do it whenever you feel anxious or if you have a couple of minutes to spare whilst waiting for the bus or whatever, no-one will notice!

Not sure what medication your doctor is going to suggest - if it's SSRIs (e.g. citalopram) you can experience side effects / worse anxiety for the first couple of weeks but then it's meant to settle down. I haven't tried medication myself but there is good evidence that it does improve anxiety. It might be what you need to cope with the symptoms whist you work on the thought processes / reasons behind the anxiety. And a lot of people shy away from it because it's 'drugs that affect your brain' but think of them as the same thing as painkillers, sometimes you need some extra help to make symptoms manageable. Medication is definitely not a cure though - I have tried to focus on strategies such as counselling, hypnotherapy and self help books, all of which have helped me to work through the underlying fears and thoughts.

If you want a few starting points for help try:
    - the side menu on this website, there is loads of information about symptoms and medications / other treatment
    - The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J Bourne (I have this and I think it's great, loads of different strategies to try)
    - Self Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes (it's a classic book that a lot of people swear by)

I admire you for striving to do something about this especially with young kids to look after! You can do it :-) Lean on the people you trust for support!

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Also another resource to check out is an online workbook for health anxiety found here: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/reso...cfm?Info_ID=53 :-)

Thread Information