Thread: Sinus Tachiacardia and Palpitations

Sinus Tachiacardia and Palpitations

I suffer from Sinus Tachiacardia which means i have a healthy heart but it beats too fast...
    On top of this i have extremely bad panic and anxiety which 9/10 triggers my tachiacardia and makes it ten times worse... i then get a surge of adrenaline feel like i cant breath properly and have chest pains...
    I wondered if anyone else has similar issues with their heart and how they cope with panic ect or cope with both?

Re: Sinus Tachiacardia and Palpitations

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with this. I know how hard it is to cope with.

I have sinus tachycardia with a resting HR of 130bpm. During a panic attack it topped 180 while sitting regularly and set off ectopic beats to boot. It was, unfortunately, chicken and egg.

My high heart rate was definitely contributing to a constant sense of impending doom, and maintained high levels of anxiety. And anxiety, in turn, kept my heart racing 24/7.

I took propranolol for a while to reduce the uncomfortable sensations of a racing heart to allow me to sleep, or leave the house. It took the edge off for a while, and maintained the status quo.

I recently made the switch to atenolol, a longer lasting beta-blocker, and my resting heart rate is maintained at 60 with no side effects. I've come off antidepressants, diazepam and sleeping pills after 8 years; and I've been able to do cardio three times a week to bring my heart rate down permanently - and naturally, so I no longer have to accept a lifetime on medication. Also helps to burn the excess adrenaline off. No more chest pains, no more shortness of breath.

Some people don't need beta-blockers to exercise and reap the benefits. Others do. In my case, I needed that help. And turns out, it was the simplest approach that was the best for me. I'd recommend talking to your doctor and seeing what help you can get. Are you having any treatment for it at the moment?

Sinus tachycardia is harmless, but uncomfortable and can be exhausting, so you should make noise until you get on top of it, in my experience.

Sorry for rambling on my own personal experience. You may find none of this helpful, but I hope you do

WOW i really wasnt expecting anyone to know what i was on about!!! your my new best friend haha

I am on propanolol atm, was on citalopram but came off it... the propanolol gives me "white finger syndrome" so the dr tryed me on something that began with A, im not sure if it is what you are on but it helps the veins or something open more in turn stopping the white finger... but this seemed to make my heart pound constantly and like you say starting the snowball effect of anxiety and panic...
    It is so refreshing to read you are able to exercise i used to love jogging ect before i was tachiacardic...
    I was dubious to start a NEW drug and start from the begining again but after reading your reply i am actually quite excited to go and speak to my dr and see what he can advise. I was starting to feel like there was nothing more could do and like my life would never be "normal" again...
    Thank you for replying, you may have saved me

Glad I could give you at least a little glimpse of hope!

I was sent from pillar to post for years, and given propranolol which offered some relief - but like you, had side effects. It's also a short acting beta-blocker, so I had rebound tachycardia between doses. Doctors love prescribing propranolol because it's an 'oldie, but a goodie' and above all - it's CHEAP. It's really good for situational anxiety, but rather inappropriate for constant anxiety or tachycardia imo. Because it's considered harmless, my doctor wasn't too keen to explore beta-blockers to lower my heart rate. If he told me to try chamomile tea or yoga once more, I wasn't going to be held accountable for my actions.

Newer beta-blockers like atenolol and bisoprolol generally have far fewer side effects, and work over a much longer period of time, but are more costly. But that's what we pay taxes for!

I really couldn't do anything when I was constantly wiped out from a pounding, racing heart. And that really bugged me as I played hockey and ran religiously before it hit me, so I know how you feel about jogging. Set that as your goal - and until you can jog again, you aren't having your condition managed properly, so don't give your doctor a moment's peace until you can!

Let me know how you get on

I will do and thank you again,
    I will write down the names you have mentioned and ask my doctor about them... he is a really good doctor tbh the best i have had he actually listens to me and ask what I actually want...
    Yes i am tired and have no motivation and i have two children 2 and under to care for which adds to the guilt...
    But i can see light at the end of the tunnel after speaking with you and now i know things can be different im not going to stop until they are and i can enjoy spending time with my kids and be able to go a week at work without being late or having to finish early or not go in at all!!

Thank you so much again

Omg this is me too how do u cope literally crying
    All the time because of this it scares me so much
    Which then makes it worse why do we have this ??
    So pleased I'm not alone x

Yeah, i've developed this in the last few days, especially bad when I stand up or change sleeping position. It wakes me up at night too.

Are you getting this all the time, or does it come and go in discrete episodes?

I am getting episodes of a few hours to a day every 3-14 days.

Thread Information