Thread: cbt

cbt

hi everyone, i'm starting my cognitive behavioural therapy on tuesday. i'm a little worried as i don'y know what to expect and reading through some of your threads i'm even more worried as i saw 1 which said she was told not to go again. is anyone having this seeing some sort of success ??. i really need this to work for me as the dwp have stopped my esa so i have no money coming in. i have appealed but lost as they say i'm fit for work. i would just like them to be me for a day then see how they could cope !!. i hardly leave the house i'm taking medication for my anxiety and depression. please get intouch if you are seeing the benefits from this therapy.

Re: cbt

I think it depends a lot on the therapist that you get. Some just go by the book while others do CBT according to your individual needs. You have to put a lot of effort in as well. There is no reason why it wont work for you, i really hope it does.
    It makes me sick that people like you are not entitled to financial help. Ive never been entitled to anything either. If i had any other form of disability i would make every effort to work, if possible, but people don't realise how this invisible illness affects us.

thank you for your reply baileys, it makes me mad that we can't get help either, i'd like to know how they can asses you on talking to you for about half hour to say your fit to work. i hate feeling like this and so do many people i have a 2 young girls who i feel like i let down by not doing things with them out of the home. if i have to take my child to school i have to be up about 3 hours before to get myself prepared to go. thank you once again i hope this does work for me. xx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=104721 Read this - this is my thread I posted yesterday...........................

For me, CBT has released me from my prison of fear and panic - I started therapy in May and have had about 20 sessions in that time. Hopefully my next appointment is a discharge appointment in a month's time

Yes, it is hard because you have to leave your attitude of despair at the door and really go for the therapy with an open mind and an approach that you will listen and do everything they ask of you.

There will be times when you question why they want you to actually make yourself feel worse and times when you just want to shut the door and stay as you are because to be successful dictates that you need to face the fear and learn how to retrain your brain to react to your triggers which then reduces the effect and recovery is on its way!

CBT fails for many people simply because they are unable (for whatever reason) to commit to the theory and therefore they never stay long enough to see the final results - that is not a criticism of those who have not been successful but a true reflection of how the therapy needs to work - it is hard work and sometimes feels unbearable and tempting not to bother doing the exercises you have been asked to carry out BUT if you are prepared for a bit more pain along the way, it will be well worth it.

Good luck

Macc Noodle

xxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you for your reply, so glad cbt has worked for you. i'm very anxious about starting but looking forward to it at the same time. i only hope i have what it takes to do this as i'm prepared to try anything. i start mine tomorrow and i'm going to put 110% into it because it must be a great feeling to be free. hank you again for the reply it has made me feel hopeful.

Hey Mistyhaiz

Go for it !!!

It will be hard work and it will sometimes make you feel worse BUT it truly is worth the effort.

Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime you want any support.

Macc Noodle
    xx

Thread Information