Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phased Returns- some advice

Phased Returns- some advice

Hi peeps,

I'm onto my 4th day of my phased return (supposed to be just doing mornings). However today I am absolutely shattered.

I just wondered what hours/days people did on their phased return. When I did one a couple of years ago, I started off a lot slower than I have this time. So I'm wondering if I am doing so much too quick and if i should be having some rest days in the week.

I'm still having some trouble getting my sleeping patterns settled and coupled with going back to work, its taking its toll.

Work haven't really given me a set plan, they are leaving it up to me, however I don't want to pee them off but equally I will be worse in the long run if I don't take things steady.

Any advice??

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 ----------

So after lots of tears this morning, decided that I had indeed been trying to push myself too much. I just don't want to let my employer down. I called them this morning and said I had underestimated how tired I would be and that I need rest days as part of my phased return and that I would put together a proper schedule so they knew what I was working towards. They had kind of left it all up to me to sort myself out with no structure which I think hasn't helped.

I do feel a bit defeatist that I should be able to manage 4 hours at work for a week but keep having to remind myself that I'm not actually better and my Citalopram isn't fully working yet so I am going to feel pants. I've been pushing myself because I worry that if I don't I will become worse but I guess its probably not the best idea to push yourself that quickly.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Re: Phased Returns- some advice

Hi im not actually working at the min (not due to my anxiety and panics) but i felt loads better past few days that ive done 2 much really, had a wave of panic hit me out the blue as they do yesterday on the school and it knocked me for 6 and had that fear and dread overcome me again which is still with me this morning to the point ive spent mmst of this morning in tears and retching again! Like u its early days of cit 4 me i only increased to 30 last tues, we r still only early in our recovery and need to take it easy x x

The first week of my phased return I started on the Wedensday morning at 08.30 until 12.30. Second week was Monday to Thursday 0830 until 1430 with Friday Saturday Sunday off. Third week Monday to Friday 08.30 until 14.30. Fourth week was back to normal 08.30 until 16.30. Fifth week my employer gave me notice of redundancy.
    Take it easy Chappers

Thanks guys for the advice, now I've had some sleep this morning, my brain is back in perspective.

William- so sorry to hear that, I'm hoping it wasn't anything to do with your illness as thats illegal if it was !

What they are saying Chappers, is that due to a downturn in the oil industry, they are reducing the number in my team from 4 to 3. Yesterday they offered me a low, 4 figure sum, in addition to the usual redundancy payment to sign an agreement that I would not take them to a tribunal. I refused of course, and sent them homewards to think again

Glad to hear you're feeling better now x

Quote Originally Posted by william wallace View Post
    The first week of my phased return I started on the Wedensday morning at 08.30 until 12.30. Second week was Monday to Thursday 0830 until 1430 with Friday Saturday Sunday off. Third week Monday to Friday 08.30 until 14.30. Fourth week was back to normal 08.30 until 16.30. Fifth week my employer gave me notice of redundancy.
    Take it easy Chappers
    So sorry to hear that ww bet thats not helped you in your recovery x x

Thanks Nicola.
    It was a real hard kick in the teeth at first, and knocked me back a couple of months. Picking up the pieces now though, and as my illness was work related stress coupled with exhaustion it's perhaps better that I'm out of there.
    I'll find something else even if its washing pots or wiping arses in a care home.
    Money isnt every thingxx

Quote Originally Posted by william wallace View Post
    Thanks Nicola.
    It was a real hard kick in the teeth at first, and knocked me back a couple of months. Picking up the pieces now though, and as my illness was work related stress coupled with exhaustion it's perhaps better that I'm out of there.
    I'll find something else even if its washing pots or wiping arses in a care home.
    Money isnt every thingxx
    Good for you xx

Hi Chappers...I hope you are on the mend as you are now on your phased return to work. I'm sure you will find the best way to deal with it and it's good they are letting you plan it yourself. I'm sure you will find a happy balance but don't over-do it or you may be back to square one before you know it.

Just a couple of questions and some advice (if you don't mind )
    1) how long were you off work for initially before your return?
    2) Does a phased return affect your salary?
    3) How are you getting on with the Cit?

I ask this as I am in my 3rd week off and due back to docs on Monday. He has stated that I am not going back until he feels I am ready (but OMG how guilty do I feel anyway after 3 weeks off!) so I think a phased return may be on the cards for me too. Also I am worried as I can't afford to take a drop in salary which will only add to my anxiety I have been on diazepam but have just been prescribed Cit 20mg but I am so scared to take it as I know it can have side effects at the beginning...worry, worry lol.

We are all here to help eachother and I'm sure you will get lots of good advice. I wish you lots of luck and hope you find a happy balance in your dilemma.

In my case Kittikat, I was paid full wages during my phased return. I dont think that all employers do this, but you should be able to find out more on this page
    http://www.sohas.co.uk/publications/publication38.pdf
    Do'nt feel guilty, it's not your fault

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information