Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 mg diazepam

Re: 30 mg diazepam

dan i have a job getting 14 2mg tabs every couple of months, and i do not abuse them either. don't know how people get their doc's to prescribe the high doses.

i find them very helpfull for certain situations, and recently for citalopram withdrawals, but have to spread them out as they have to last me.

different doc's with different opinions? take care xx

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdove View Post
    dan i have a job getting 14 2mg tabs every couple of months, and i do not abuse them either. don't know how people get their doc's to prescribe the high doses.

i find them very helpfull for certain situations, and recently for citalopram withdrawals, but have to spread them out as they have to last me.

different doc's with different opinions? take care xx
    Same my doc only prescribes 7 in one go, and after prescribing 21 in 5 months she refused to prescribe me more. Saw a consultant psychiatrist and he prescribed me 30 in one go .

Sorry, should have made my post more clear.

You are right about BNF guidelines Dan, but in my experience psychiatrists will prescribe a higher dose if they feel it necessary.

The girl in the bed next to me in psychiatric ward was on 60mg daily.

Haz.

hi I am on 45mg daily plus 30 mg of tmezapam at night,without this I would b an absoulute mess,the drug(diazapam) is the same but the people who take it r different,if u feel comfortable on this dose then stay on it.U WILL know when u r ready to decrease,get as much support as u can .
    e.g doctor's,shrinks whatever U feel comfortable with,plz don't think u r on a high dosage,I know alot of people who r on 40-60mg daily,take ur time and just take each day as it comes

As long as you are aware:

diazepam is habit forming and said to be harder to withdraw from than cocaine,

your body builds a tolerance to it, so you will slowly need a higher dose

then go for high doses. When diazepam was invented, it was said not to be addictive and a magic pill prescribed for anything ranging from depression to suicidal thoughts.

I am taking 12-15mg daily, and comfortable at this dose. Would I be happy on 45mg - no, but its not my decision.

Dan
    Last edited by dan1234; 23-05-12 at 19:04.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1234 View Post
    As long as you are aware:

diazepam is habit forming and said to be harder to withdraw from than cocaine,
    I didn't realise cocaine was such an addictive substance? Glad I've steered cleared of it.
    I have taken diazepam for 12 months now and it has helped me through difficult times, never taken more than 10mg in a day, and now back down to 5mg a night to help me sleep. Hopefully over the coming months I will reduce this totally, although I'm in no rush after going cold turkey from 45mg of mirtazapine and suffering tremendously, I'm going to be kinder to myself in future.

Quote Originally Posted by shropshire_lad View Post
    I didn't realise cocaine was such an addictive substance? Glad I've steered cleared of it.
    I have taken diazepam for 12 months now and it has helped me through difficult times, never taken more than 10mg in a day, and now back down to 5mg a night to help me sleep. Hopefully over the coming months I will reduce this totally, although I'm in no rush after going cold turkey from 45mg of mirtazapine and suffering tremendously, I'm going to be kinder to myself in future.
    no matter what drug you are taking diazepam is addictive, just like cocaine !!!

What I have found with this drug is GP's are not following the NICE guidelines, and whilst we all want something that will help us get through it, it is a nasty drug as far as Im concerned.

It just masks the underlining issues and does not help you face them.

Im alarmed that people are on these for so long, when they are only according to the NICE guidelines for certain situations. If something alarming has happened etc.

If people cannot function without a diaz in the morning etc to do everyday things, then seriously something is wrong with the system.

AD's etc (not for long term use) just like diaz, and therapy ...... and us all facing up to our fears.

Thats my opinion anyway.

It's a tough one, because Valium is a very good and effective med, but because of that it tends to be sometimes over used, and whilst I could condemn that, I think if someone is getting relief then its difficult to be critical. I certainly don't feel people are wrong for taking it, after all, they are prescribed it by a professional in good faith I would hope.

That said I do believe many doctors (certainly my practice is) are responsible with prescribing it, in order to reduce the amount of people becoming dependent.

But it is a victim of its own success, and maybe one day there will be a drug to take its place, that is tailored to us all as individuals, and takes into account our genetic make up etc..and that is not addictive..!

Quote Originally Posted by moirascott View Post
    no matter what drug you are taking diazepam is addictive, just like cocaine !!!

What I have found with this drug is GP's are not following the NICE guidelines, and whilst we all want something that will help us get through it, it is a nasty drug as far as Im concerned.

It just masks the underlining issues and does not help you face them.

Im alarmed that people are on these for so long, when they are only according to the NICE guidelines for certain situations. If something alarming has happened etc.

If people cannot function without a diaz in the morning etc to do everyday things, then seriously something is wrong with the system.

AD's etc (not for long term use) just like diaz, and therapy ...... and us all facing up to our fears.

Thats my opinion anyway.

You sum it up well except they are only guidelines. A GP is free to ignore the guidelines it is not a protocol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information