Thread: Appetite.

Appetite.

Hi everyone, my anxiety is mostly to do with my health, the more anxious I get, the worse I feel, the more I think something is seriously wrong. When I get anxious, one of the first things to go is my appetite. The thing is, I get to a point where I KNOW I need to eat, my stomach is rumbling and feels empty etc.
    What bothers me is when I try to eat, it's as though it's my HEAD that's saying "don't eat!", it's not that I feel nauseous or have any stomach symptoms. And when I'm actually eating, I feel like I'm choking it down. What bothers me though is the little voice in my head saying "DON'T EAT!!" Does anyone know how to get rid of this?
    What's even more annoying is that I love my food and I love eating! It's SO frustrating.

Re: Appetite.

I tend to eat little and often so i don't let it get to empty, I always find a hot drink of chamomile, peppermint or ginger tea tends to wake up my eating a bit more. Sometimes your anxiety may be low blood sugar, it can give you the same symptoms so i always try a small piece of a dextrose tablet, or suck a boiled sweet, if I feel better, I know its just hunger.

Re: Appetite.

I get this as well. I don't necessarily get the "don't eat" thoughts, I just have zero appetite, and can go without food for days on end. I would love to be able to eat but I just can't and the thought or smell of food makes me panicky and feel sick. I just have to tell myself that my appetite will come back once I start to feel better and ship myself off to the docs to get treated (usually this is when I need to go back on antidepressants). When I am like this I try to eat yougurt or complan, as I seem to be able to stomach that and have no problems drinking, and will try to maybe have some soup if I feel like I can (mad how I could drink loads of tea but then can't stomach soup!).

You aren't alone though...x

Thread Information