Thread: mole ... advice please!

Exclamation mole ... advice please!

My boyfriend has a lot of moles, but there is one on the back of his neck that scares me. it is about the size of a pencil eraser, sticks out, and is pretty symmetrically round. I am scared though because it is brown with another dark shade of brown in it ... so it is kind of 2 colors throughout. He tells me he is fine, he's had it all his life, and I don't know if it has changed, as my HA was not this bad before ... but he won't get it checked out and I am scared he has melanoma and it will spread in the time he is refusing to go! If somebody could respond quickly that would be great ... I need to stop worrying :(

Re: mole ... advice please!

I had a mole that was really big and raised and decided to get it removed as i always caught in on clothes etc and it was fine. it also had varying shades of brown and black in it (as do most of my other ones)
    I went thru a skin cancer fear earlier in the year and got all of my moles checked and my GP is not worried about any of them. (all brown and black)

I don't know if this helps but I have a symmetrical raised mole on my left forearm that I have had since I was probably a toddler. I am 31 now (ouch, outing my age ). I know my dermatologist told me if it started to change shape or was assymmetrical I should get it checked out.

Some moles can be different shades of brown. I have a mole on my stomach that is brown and has darker brown patches in it. Got it checked and doctor said it's fine.

As long as the mole is round, no bigger than the end of a pencil and doesn't have any black, red or purple colouring i wouldn't worry. Some moles just do pop up in weird shapes and colours.

I've had another look at it ... it is definitely a light brown and a very dark brown in patchy spots. It is probably a little smaller than a pencil eraser. I just think it is changing and he cannot get to see a dermatologist for months... would a walk-in clinic be able to verify if it is ok or not?

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    I've had another look at it ... it is definitely a light brown and a very dark brown in patchy spots. It is probably a little smaller than a pencil eraser. I just think it is changing and he cannot get to see a dermatologist for months... would a walk-in clinic be able to verify if it is ok or not?
    If it's smaller than a pencil eraser and is round i almost guarantee it's nothing to worry about. I have a mole that has a blurred border and different shades of brown that i worried over for weeks which turned out to be fine.

If you're really worried go and make an appointment at your GP's. A walk-in clinic is not necessary.

Thank you so much for your helpful replies. I feel a little better. He is going to his doctor right now ... I am so nervous!!! I hate HA so much, it is ruining my relationship :(

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

he just called from the docs and said it is benign and no worries. i am so relieved and somewhat embarrassed for freaking out ... but glad it is over.

Thread Information