Thread: time for a change

time for a change

hi today i have decided to stop smoking i have tried before and failed but i will be 49 in a few days time and i really want to stop we need the money my daughter hates me smoking and my husband doesn't smoke my anxiety and panic attacks have been the worsed than ever this year i had to give up my part time job and i don't go out now so if i wanted to buy some cigs i couldn't do it i have told my husband not to buy me any some of my friends say my anxiety will get worse but if i wait for it to go away before i stop smoking i will never give up i need to really try and change my life i seem to have been like this for years and had more bad days than good has any one given up smoking and felt better even a little bit i have read all about withdrawel symptoms from stopping smoking and i will have to just have to cope i am also going through the menopause and some of the symptoms are like panic attacks any way i will give it a go marg

Hi Marg, Good for you mate...I gave up 4 years ago, after smoking very heavily for many years. I done it cold turkey, and succeeded! It was a little difficult but was one of the best things i have done. In regards to the panic/anxiety it had no effect what-so-ever, i 'suffered' then and still do now! But in general, my health improved, take one day at a time, distract yourself when you have a craving (they only last a short while) and each day will be easier. Good luck and keep in touch xxjean

Hi Marg - well done for taking a positive step to improving your health. I stopped about 10 years ago and don't think it affected my anxiety. I've had 3 episodes of anxiety, 1 while I still smoked and 2 after I gave up. A friend at work had accupuncture to stop. It cost £40 and she had like a tiny ball pushing on her ear (held on with a plaster). She had to keep it there for 2 weeks (I think) and then take it off. She has given up and hasn't had any cravings/withdrawal at all.
    Good luck!
    Love Helen

Hi Marg and well done for giving up those cigarettes. I'm sure that things are difficult but just think what a benefit it is to your body. try and find other ways to relax and take your mind off things.
    take care

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Thread Information