Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just upped to 30mg but now bruising? Help!

Just upped to 30mg but now bruising? Help!

Hi all,

I could really use some reassurance and support. I started celexa 5 weeks ago and was upped to 30mg 8 days ago. I am really starting to believe the celexa is working, which is wonderful. I woke up this morning to some large purple bruises all around one of my knees. I also have a few small green ones. All of the bruises are on the front of my legs. I'm trying to believe it is just coincidence that I have these bruises and don't remember knocking them, and am hoping it has nothing to do with celexa or the increase last week. They are located only on the front of my legs, not the back or anywhere else on my body, so I am rationalizing and combatting the anxiety (see celexa is helping!) with positive thoughts that it is likely I bumped them and just don't recall. I only question it because I don't remember bruising like this before. Although I have also lost 25 plus pounds in 6 weeks due to anxiety so perhaps that has something to do with the bruising?

My leaflet from the pharmacist does not list bruising as a side effect, but a foolish google search told me otherwise. Anyone have any experience with this? Think its just coincidence?

Thanks so much!

Re: Just upped to 30mg but now bruising? Help!

4 weeks on 10mg and now 3 weeks on 20mg, big improvement - I do not think brusing is anything to do with cytalopram but I do think that the sharp increase to 30mg will cause some increase in anxiety but this is likely to last for only a few hours.

Take care, talk to doctor.
    Good night

i agree with the above, i have not heard of bruising either, we can sometimes get bruising and not remember how we done it, but if you are concerned speak to your dr. wishing you well x

Hello Alovinmama.
    We are about the same with our progress with Citalopram. I started it on November 1st at 20mg and have now upped to 30mg, but only for the last few days.
    No.... no bruises but quite bad insomnia still.

Keep in touch with your progress, it's interesting to hear about others' experiences.

Hi there, it is great news that the citlopram is working. However, from the expereince of someone in my family, you should see your doctor about this as citalopram can cause you to bleed a little more easily. If you are taking aspirin or Iboprofen this effect could be greater. The doctor may say the bruises are not a result of the citalopram, or he may say it doesn't matter but it is possible he may want to change you to a differerent medicine. The good news is that there are effective antidepressants that would not have this side effect. My family member who had similar problems was absolutely fine and he is now taking a different antidepressant without any problem. I really have hesitated about writing this as I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but I do think for your own peace of mind you should talk to your doctor. Good wishes
    J

Thanks for all of your replies. All of the bruises are concentrated on one leg, so I'm hopeful that it is a result of bumping it. BUT... I woke up this morning to new bruises on my shin which was a blow to my confidence and am feeling very anxious this morning. I called my dr and am waiting to hear back.

Just when I think the celexa is working, I don't want to think about having to switch meds. :(

Help!

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Update. Just talked to my dr and she very confidently said it was not because of the meds. I am wondering if it is because I haven't been taking in enough nourishment/vitamins because of this rapid weight loss. It is scary nonetheless but I need to trust the dr, believe that I must have bonked myself and just don't recall. Still welcome anyone's reassuring input.

OMG I came on here to ask the exact same question! I started on 10mg in September then upped to 20mg and my legs are covered in bruises!! I read the leaflet and it mentions bruising but its under the rare side effects section (1 in a 1000) Honestly I dont know where the bruises are coming from but its mainly one one leg and I counted 16!!! xxx

Oh my!! That scares me!! Did you call your dr? Did you notice the bruises just in the last couple of days? What are you going to do?

Please reassure me people! Hugs.

Hi, if your doctor has said not to worry then please don't. She knows your medical history. My family member who had to come off citalopram altogether has additional medical problems which meant that the bruising was a concern. Additionally I am on citalopram but because of the family history have been advised by doctor not to take with ibuprofen or aspirin which can interact. Try and see what doctor has said as good news- you can stay on the citalopram, which you say is working! J x

THANK YOU J.! I really appreciate you providing that further info and for your gentle, but firm reminder to be encouraged by my dr's words. It is so hard to not to get sucked in and immersed in these thoughts and worries - especially when you have a physical, visual reminder (in this case, bruises) of what I am worrying/obsessing about. *sigh*

It's been 11 days at the 30 mg (5.5 weeks total on the celexa) -- so I guess I have to remember that the celexa itself isn't even at its full capacity yet, let alone the 30 mg. It will get better. I just want to be me again.

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Catya View Post
    Hello Alovinmama.
    We are about the same with our progress with Citalopram. I started it on November 1st at 20mg and have now upped to 30mg, but only for the last few days.
    No.... no bruises but quite bad insomnia still.

Keep in touch with your progress, it's interesting to hear about others' experiences.
    Yes Catya, let's keep each other posted.. How are you doing? I've definitely noticed improvement. I *think* the 20 mg is "kicked in" now but not the 30. How are you doing in general on the celexa? How are you doing with the increase?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information