Thread: Afraid citalopram won't work

Afraid citalopram won't work

I have been prescribed citalopram and mirtazapine. The reason for the mirt is to help any insomnia from the citalopram. I decided to start the mirt first as I was very worn down by anxiety, so felt I could do with a couple of good nights of sleep.

My head is all over the place today after two nights of mirt and I'm frightened of starting the citalopram. Frightened of possible side effects and frightened that it won't work and that it's true about ADs only having a placebo effect.

Citalopram seems to be the AD which is most prescribed for anxiety - so there must be a reason for this - it must be good and work for most... but my thinking is so mangled at the moment I am finding it hard to tell myself anything positive. I spoke to my GP today and she said that I could ditch the mirt and just go with the citalopram and take the diazepam I have on an as needed basis to help with sleep. I would really welcome and appreciate some feedback on this. I haven't felt this low and confused in a long time.

Belle x

Re: Afraid citalopram won't work

Hi belle, that's what i done, i started on 10 mg of citalopram and had 2mg diazapam to help till the meds kicked in, and with the side effects, i can only tell you that for me citaloprm worked wonders, but it takes time,but for me well worth the effort. hope you feel better soon x

Hi ive heard mirt and cit work well together however when i mentioned it to my doc he told me he wouldnt prescribe me them together and only a physchatrist should prescribe 2 AD's together?? He said cit was better for my anxiety and panic attacks so ive gone with cit and diaz as i need it, am 12 weeks in now taking 30mg and slowly getting there, good luck x x

Thank you both for responding pinkdove and nicola. It's good to know that it can work given time.

Pinkdove - how long did it take in your case for the side effects to settle down?

I am feeling a bit better than I did earlier today thank goodness.

Belle x

Thread Information