Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobic

Unhappy Agoraphobic

Hi

My name is Rachel and i'm 23 and i have been agoraphobic since i was a kid but it got worse when i turned 18. I live with my partner and i cant leave the house unless my mum is with me.
    I'm on medication but i dont think it's working so i am going back to see a psychiatrist for it. I am also seeing a psychologist again. I didn't think it helped before but i'm trying it all again as i am desperate to get better.
    I want to get married and have kids but i cant if i wouldn't even be able to walk them to school or take them to the park. It wouldn't be fair on them.
    I am really depressed at the moment as i feel i am getting worse. I heard some people can be agoraphobic their whole lives and i do not want to be one of them.
    If anyone has any advice i would really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Agoraphobic

Hi Rachel

I'm Lisa

I'm going to be brutally honest with you here hun, the only way to get through agoraphobia is to fight it tooth and nail. It's hard, infact it's really bloomin hard but it can be done. I'm living proof of it. Lol...

I've been agoraphobic twice in my life. First time i was a little younger than you and it lasted over a year but they way i got over it then was to start going little runs with my mum in the car. Through time we extended the time we would be out and through hard work, lots of panic and sheer determination, i got there and went on to lead a completely normal life. Full time job, met someone, had a kid, went on nights out ect.

Second time was about 6 years ago. For the first few years, i let it take over me. I didn't know that at the time but i do now. By doing this, it got worse and worse until i got to the stage where i couldn't go out at all without sheer panic running through my entire body.

I started seeing a CPN last year. She would come to my house because she knew how difficult it was for me to be able to see her at the heath centre because my agoraphobia was so bad. After a few months, she started taking me out and at the moment i'm at the stage where i have just gone into a massive shopping centre. I didn't like it very much but after mastering the super markets, this was the next leg of my journey.

So you see huni, don't lose hope because you can do this. You need to prepare yourself for a battle because it will not be easy at all. Start by doing little things like walking a few doors away from yours, standing for a minute then coming home again. Do this until you feel it's time you can maybe walk to the end of your road etc.

The harder you fight, the easier it will become. If you panic when you go somewhere, DON'T let it put you off and certainly don't avoid going there again as this just feeds the phobia.

So many of us here are agoraphobic and we will all help you.

You can do this, you really can.

Lisa
    xx

Hi Lisa

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to do that going few doors down thing. That sounds like a good idea. I live on a quiet street so that will be very helpfull.

That's brilliant.

Keep telling yourself that you can do this. Nothing can harm you. The panic is just a sensation and and it will not and can not hurt you.

You go gal.

Lisa
    xx

Hi and welcome to a great forum. Please read, read and read some more, the more knowledge you have the easier it will be on your way to recovery. Setting little goals everyweek can help. Keep trying. You CAN beat this.
    Love Paula x

Hi Rachel

I'm agoraphobic too. All I can do on my own at the moment is put the rubbish outside, it's horrid! Bottleblonds advice is great. I too have a CPN who I see once a week. It's been 10 weeks and I've managed to go into town. I was conviced this would never happen again, but it did. It was hard, really hard, with many tears and panic attacks, but it's so worth it because the fear is fading slowly. You can beat this Rachel, one step at a time! Set yourself small realistic goals and you'll do it.

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow
    (✿◠‿◠)

Thank you everyone. What is a CPN and how do i get one? lol
    The doctors keep making me go to them and all these other places and it makes me feel worse, so having someone come to me would be a great help.

CPN = Community Psychiatric Nurse.

Speak to your GP and ask if he can refer you as the cpn's can visit you at home and begin your treatment there rather than putting you in a situation where you are so scared, you can't take anything in properly.

The more information, understanding and support you recieve, the better you will feel about fighting the agoraphobia.

I'm sure all Health Centres have a CPN facility so it shouldn't be a problem for you to have access to one.

Lisa
    xx

Thanks i have an appointment on the 12th so i will ask about it then.
    I'm so glad i joined this forum. You've given me more help than my doctors have lol

im 21 and feel the exact same way that you do.. i even have the same fears.. i want to live and enjoy my life yet im being held back.. just as you are.. ive been fighting this since i was 15 and i assure you stay with it .. it will get hard and at times very frightening.. never give up and you will not be one of those people that have it for life.. your will to fight is the best weapon anyone has when fighting against anxiety... ill pass on sme advice ive gotten on here before.. your young ,, and although you want to live your life to the fullest.. its okay to take it slow .. you will have time to raise a family and be whomever you wish to be .. i wish you luck and if you need someone around your own age to talk to im here .. ive been looking for someone my age going through the same things .. i hope we can be friends and support each other through this website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information