Thread: Balance issues and in a fog, really need someone to listen

Balance issues and in a fog, really need someone to listen

I have been having horrible balance issues lately. I have tried a couple of those balance tests where you stand on one foot and close your eyes and I can barely make it a few seconds. The tests say I should be able to make it much much longer. I have also been having lots of internal vibration feeling in my legs, especially when I lay down to sleep. I have had the twitches for years and now I am freaking out about all sorts of tumors and diseases. I feel like I am in a dream. Things are foggy and I am terrified. I just had blood work done and nothing was found but I am so scared. My heart is skipping beats and I feel like I am going to fall over at any moment. This has been going on for days. I can't sleep, I am not eating and my wife thinks I am nuts. Maybe I am. I feel like I am going to leave my kids without a dad or that I am going to lose my job because I can't think of anything else but what is going on with me. I have tried SSRI's but they had no effect. Someone please tell me that it is going to alright.

J2

Re: Balance issues and in a fog, really need someone to listen

Hi J2 Im sorry you feel this way. Not eating and not sleeping, being constantly terrified or in an anxious state can have a marked effect on balance. I think also that a high percentage here would also only be able to manage a few seconds if they had to stand on one leg and close their eyes. Accepting that balance issues are another part of anxiety can help you take back some control, instead of it controlling you.

What about asking your doctor for a different type of meds if SSRIs didnt help?
    I really think that if you can address the sleeping and eating issues, you will start to feel better very soon. Little and often with the food, and when you go to sleep, try a warm bath, warm milk (contains tryptophan-sleep inducing hormone), or even some lavender. Massage aslo helps. Your bloods were fine, try to see that as a positive. You are not nuts, I feel for you I really do, because it feels like we are living someone elses life at times. Hope you feel better soon.
    Best wishes, Paula x

Paula,

Thanks so much for the response. I am just convinced that I am heading for an early grave. The leg vibrations coupled with the balance and the brain fog have emptied all my strength and left me defenseless. I feel so weak and vulnerable and worthless. This board is the only place I have to turn.

I understand. I know you are tired and depleted, but you need to be a little pro-active here and make a few small changes to at least enable you to have some food intake and sleep. The brain simply cannot function correctly when we are in calorie defacit. And seeing as the brain is responsible for our physical and mental well-being, its only right that we look after it. Maybe a high calorie drink/shake would help if you really cant face food.

You are not worthless. Dont say that about yourself.
    I had a look at all the threads you started. I wonder how many of the things you though were going to happen actually did? Maybe it would be helpful if you looked over your threads, it may give you reassurance that most of the things we fear never actually happen.

Im sitting here typing and the room is literally spinning. Unlike you, my problem is hormones. But like you, it effects my quality of life. The difference is I have accepted it, and refuse to let it bother me because I know its anxiety. Realising this can really help you toward recovery.

I also have leg vibrations, and pins and needles in my hands, feet, legs, face, lips tongue.....again....anxiety. Ive had so many tests that after 11 years of living with the horror of it, my only option was to stop fighting, and accept it. Accept it, and realise it would not hurt me. Although the sensations are awful, they are just that...sensations, not some symptom of a terrible disease. This is of course, if you have being diagnosed as having Health Anxiety. Your latest bloods were fine, try and see that as positive.

Now, I hope that you can try to eat something, maybe sit out in the fresh air for half an hour, and make plans for sleep tonight by trying the suggestions. Also making sure your room is dark and of a comfortable temperature. Give your off balance feelings permission to come with you for that little walk, or what ever it is you have to do the rest of the day. Take back your control. It WILL loose its power over you eventually, even if this doesnt happen overnight.

Feel better soon.
    Paula x

Paula x

Paula,

I know that you are right and that none of my previous fears came true. I will try your suggestions, except it is very cold out so I will probably walk indoors. Talking to others and sharing is great medicine for me. I hope you feel better and that I can have your courage.

J2

I have the exact same problem- twitching, off balance, head in a fog... pins and needles, even numbness. It's always a relief to see I'm not the only one going through this, and that it really is caused by anxiety, exhaustion and poor diet. Also, do you take a multi-vitamin? Maybe you're deficient in vitamin b12 or d. Vitamin d deficiency is especially prevalent this time of year! Just keep in mind that there are so many non-life threatening things that could be causing you to feel this way. Get outside for some fresh air, eat lots of fruit and dark green veggies and start practicing your breathing. Always works for me

Janinel, I wish I could take your positive outlook and Paula's resolve and bottle it into something I could drink with my breakfast. I "know" you are right but I feel helpless and hopeless. The balance thing is so frightful. I just "know" I have some nuero disease or a tumor. I keep hoping I will snap out of it. I have dealt with anxiety for years but I never seem to learn from it. Thanks for listening.

Thread Information