Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seroxat - Success Stories Please

Seroxat - Success Stories Please

Hi Fellow Seroxat Users
    This is my third time on Seroxat after a long slow withdrawal ending earlier this year.

I've read many reports and horror stories that it is less effective or simply doesn't work when on it the second/third time round, but as is the nature of the internet/forums, the good news stories are hard to find.

I was on 10mg a day for several years and am currently on week two of 10mg a day, slowly working up a 2-3mg every 2-3 days over the next couple of weeks until I reach 20mg a day (I've never needed more than 20mg).

Can anyone who had been prescribed Seroxat on two or more occassions advise if it was as effective and if it helped them again. If it didn't, what else did you try and what worked (I know everyone is different).

PLEASE - if you are from SeroxatMad or Paxil Progress, don't post your horror stories, I've read them all before.

Thank you

Re: Seroxat - Success Stories Please

Worked great for me for 14 years but then unfortunately stopped. :-(

I'm on sertraline now but it's not helped me as much as the Seroxat and I would consider going back on them in the future.

Lol at your comment at the end of your post.

Hope they work again for you.

Keep us posted.

Haz.x

My 2 cousins are on Seroxat and been on it for 10 years and wouldnt dream of coming off it. Thy take 20mg

Cathy xx

Thanks both. It's always worked for me before, having taken it on two occassions, but was persuaded by my GP that it was time to start coming off it. Wish I hadn't cause 10mg a day worked wonders for years.

I've read that it doesn't always work the second or third time around, but as it never stopped working for me in the first place I'm hoping that going back up to 20mg a day will be effective again.

I never had much trouble withdrawing but I did it over about 18 months but a lack of understanding of my/our conditions meant I never noticed a lot of the warning signs/symptoms returning.

Fingers crossed its as effective as previous occassions

I really hope it goes well for you this time around! Just wanted to send a hug your way

Keep us posted on your progress!!

Hi everyone,

I started retaking Seroxat 9 days ago after being off it for 5 weeks and then 2 weeks on fluoxetine which didn't seem to work. I went straight in at 20 mg. So its day 9 and I feel like I am going to die today. I feel so lightheaded and my legs feel like jelly that I just feel I don't want to move from my chair. I can't remember how I felt the last time I restarted Seroxat as I have withdrawn successfully but then had to go back on it again. Has anyone else felt like this back on Seroxat. This is the only AD that works for me (or seems to work) so I am going to persevere. The problem with me is that I want an instant solution and I know it doesn't work like that. Please help as I am going mad .....

Thanks, Spike

Hi Spike, I can completely relate. This time last week I was a wreck (at that point I was on day 10 of 10mg a day). I begged my husband not to leave me on the Friday morning and thankfully he stayed with me, I couldn't have managed to get out of my chair (or PJ's) otherwise. Since day 12 I've been SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better and on day 14 I started to increase the dose and still feel fine.

I suffer really badly when I first start taking this AD and am so desperate to feel better that I start looking for the reasons I still feel terrible.

Before I started taking Seroxat this time I hadn't hit rock bottom, but knew I was heading that way, it made me feel horrendous for the first 12-14days, even on half the dose. The only reason I don't really remember it making me feel so bad on previous occassions is because I really couldn't have been in a worse place to begin with. This time, my anxiety went through the roof, literally sky high.

I'm still having wobbly mornings but each morning is getting easier (touch wood), I just have to motivate myself early.

What time of day do you take your dose? I find that taking it in the evening means I don't suffer any night sweats or nightmares like I used to and a lot of the other side effects are easier to deal with and less intense.

Message me if you have any questions, I'm only a few days ahead of you so will be happy to offer any reassurance you need. The great news is you're nearly over the worst. Any day soon it the SE's will ease considerably.

Hi lauz_lea,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. Like you I have been on and off Seroxat a couple of times and now realise that I do need to take it to remain stable. I just wish I hadn't come off it 3 months ago and then perhaps I wouldn't be feeling so bad.

Anyway since restarting the Seroxat I have been taking it in the morning but I used to take it before I went to bed. I am thinking of changing back to the evenings. Anyway I feel better in myself but its the lightheadedness, shaky legs and nausea that are the worst for me. Not sure if you have had those symptons since restarting.

I work full-time and my doctor has not signed me off even though I haven't been functioning properly. I think he thinks it is best that I am kept distracted. I do understand the logic but its hard going to work and having to pretend that everything is ok - which clearly it isn't.

More words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you are having a good day too

Hi Spike - where are you now on your course, about day 10? That's wher it started getting better for me after the good day/bad day cycle. I had one bad day after that but the rest have been so much better, I can even eat properly again having lost a stone in the last two weeks.

I, like you felt very sick, and did vomit a couple of time but I would say this was more to do with the anxiety SE - I was a right mess.

We sound so similar in circumstances, I too stopped taking Seroxat a few months ago after a slow (but easy) withdrawal. I never noticed the anxiety creeping back up on me until a few weeks ago and decided I had to do something about it before I hit rock bottom. Whilst in the initial two weeks I wondered if I was really doing the right thing (because of how terrible I felt), now I've made it through the terrible SE's I'm glad I stuck with it (for the third time).

My doctor did sign me off, which I was very greatful for and I have a great support network of friends and family, so I haven't been on my own unless I've chosen to be.

I'm considering returning to work next week but I will wait and see how I feel when I go back to the GP on Tuesday as I'm sure there may be momentary blips whilst I continue to increase my dosage to 20mg.

On the whole, the first 10-14 days were a complete roller coaster of SE's - like I said earlier, a good day/bad day cycle that made me dread going to bed at the end of a good day, fearful that I would be waking up to a bad day, but now, on day 18, the SE's have all but gone. I only suffer very slight anxiety early in the morning, and extreme tiredness in the evening (which I combat with one cup of tea at about 6:30pm).

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but if you drink caffiene or alcohol and smoke, try to cut right back. This will ease the shakes, wobbles, jitters or anxiety, but I know it's easier said than done. Avoid caffiene and nicotine early in the day, keep them as low as you possibly can.

You may find that switching from taking your meds in the morning to the evening helps a lot too. I can't recommend that enough.

Hi lauz_lea,

Thanks for your post. Our circumstances do sound very similar. What causes your anxiety - mine is worrying about my health !!!! I have wasted so much of my life worrying about my health it is ridiculous. When the seroxat works I feel much better and my worries are just in the background but at the moment my health is all I can think about. I have had loads of tests on my heart and apart from actually opening me up there aren't any more tests I can have. BUT I still think there is something wrong with my heart. I have also had a brain MRI scan because I kept feeling dizzy and lightheaded and thought it was a brain tumour :(. I must add that I have paid privately for these tests as my GP wouldn't send me for them.

Anyway I am on day 10 today and don't feel too bad at the moment. I am at work and can't wait for 4 p.m. when I can go home. I am going to start taking my tablet in the evening. I took one about an hour ago because I didn't want to wait until tonight to take it so tomorrow I will start in the evening.

I have also lost loads of weight in the last few weeks. I had no appetite for days and also couldn't sleep. I am still not sleeping very well and keep waking up during the night where I just lay and worry - great.

I don't drink much caffeine just the odd can of pepsi, don't smoke and actually am not keen on alcohol so I do try and avoid caffeine where possible.

I am really pleased to hear that you are thinking of returning to work next week. Just make sure you are ready to go back.

Did you feel lightheaded and shaky with your side effects from the tablets. I am assuming it is the tablets or could be my anxiety.

Anxiety is just AWFUL !!!!

Take care xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information