Thread: Beta blockers and reducing anxiety symptoms

Beta blockers and reducing anxiety symptoms

Hello.
    I have been prescribed beta blockers today. I am pregnant and have high blood pressure (i have a history if preeclampsia). So this is not something being done for my anxiety problems themselves and also not something i can really avoid.
    I was wondering though about the possible effects on the symotoms of anxiety that the medication may have?. I am terrified of tablets and really lookingg for a silver lining i suppose. My anxiety has been totally out of control lately the things bothering me most are physical symotoms such as racing heart and shaking especially in the evenings (when my anxiety is worst). The dose i am on is 100 (whatever the measurement is!) in the morning and 100 at night so i know it is quite a small dose to start as my blood pressure is too high to leave but nto amazingly high.

I HAVE been on these tablets before and to be honest i laid alot of the blame for the symptoms i was having on them i thought they were causing e to feel the symptoms of anxiety (i didnt know it was anxiety at the time!) so i am trying not to judge and get in a state before taking them. My first dose will be tonight and im already a little nervous.

Does anyone have experience of this? Although its for my blood pressure oculd they reduce the effects of the anxiety a little as well?

Re: Beta blockers and reducing anxiety symptoms

They work for me for my anxiety (thats what i was prescribed them for) although they do give me the bizarrest dreams. I did try to cut down taking them this week as felt a bit better but realised that it wasn't the greatest idea so stick with them if thats what your doctor says. They slow my heart rate and stop the adrenaline rushes and generally make me feel calmer and my anxiety a lot more manageable.

Hope that helps x

I've taken beta blockers low dose for anxiety, worked fine. Higher dose for high bp gave me all sorts of side effects, yuk, and did seem to increase my anxiety symptoms.
    Doc was puzzled as she said she gave them to me to help anxiety as well as for bp.
    I'm scared of pills too, had a panic attack each time I took one for ages, this may be why they made the anxiety worse. It's settled down now after five years on a different bp med, but suspect it would be a problem if the med I'm on needed to be changed.

ive been on beta blockers for ages now they do help me and i have had no side effects whatsoever , they definatly stop the racing heart which reduces other anxiety symptoms aswell i find hope they help you what ones are you on ?
    amandaxx

Thread Information