Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: diary of a fluoxetine user

diary of a fluoxetine user

After reading someone elses very informative first few months on fluoxetine,I decided to post my own experience.....perhaps it may help someone else,who knows,and also in months to come,I can read it back to myself and hopefully see positive progress (I know there will be lows along the way)

mon 5th Dec; ring docs for emergency app't ,cant stop crying and doom and gloom thoughts are out of control,30mg propranolol having no effect whatsoever,panic attacks escalating.missing my daughter who's on school trip abroad and just cant cope in general.
    see lovely doctor,given course of 20mg fluoxetine and lots of other advice after many more tears.come home feeling better but shattered.

tue 6th Dec; too scared to take first dose last night,but after a terrible nights sleep,decide to take 1st dose....what have i got to lose?
    still carry on with propranolol as well.Went to bed early at 9pm,tossed and turned until 12;30 am,but eventually slept until 6;45,so not bad.

Wed 7th Dec;take next dose in morning. go bed early again,struggle to sleep,not because of worry,but my hubby snores!!! I give up and get in my daughters bed....she always gets in with my youngest.Sleep from 11;30ish till 6am.....pretty good night.Not slept like that for months,but i did also take some strong cocodamol for back pain.No side effects as yet.

Thurs 8th Dec; feeling a bit more upbeat,go xmas shopping with my Mum,feel calm and possibly even happy.got a little bit panicky in a few shops but remembered to breath slowly....scared this wont last and i,ll have a big attack......realise that keeping busy takes my mind off my thoughts.trying to cut out coffee,still feel nauseous in mornings (not because of meds.....anxiety) but this has passed by lunchtime.
    go bed about 11pm,awake at 5am feeling very weird,sweaty,horrible tingly feeling in arms and chest...horrible thoughts.....absolutely no way can get back to sleep,give up and get up.

Friday 9th Dec;
    have a few cups of tea,but cant shake this weird feeling,i go online for reassurance ,find many people feel like this in first few weeks....can i ride the storm? dont know,but im not giving up....i want my life back

Re: diary of a fluoxetine user

All I can say is KEEP going! I'm on day 19 and just had an amazing week on this med. Having a couple of weird days but this is to be expected. First week was tough but bearable, just remember its your mind adjusting to the meds :-)

Take care!

ah thanks Mallan,I need all the encouragement i can get....this is so scary.
    ive just done some food shoppin ,i managed it,but it was a battle to keep my thoughts in check,could have thrown all my shopping on the floor at one point!

As mallan says it does take some time, I'm now in month 3 - most days are good now. Had a slightly off day today, but that might be because I had to go to the office christmas party!! This consisted of eating sandwiches in our coffee room with no alcohol for me, I challenge anyone not to feel depressed by that!
    But seriously, do give it time I am sure your mood will level out after 4-5 weeks, well that's what I found. Take care.

Keep it up - you may feel a bit worse before you start feeling better but stick with it, it's just the SE's, it will pass. Keep posting, it helps you to monitor your own progress, and helps others too x

Sat 10th Dec; another bad night,very restless,but any horrible thoughts are quickly dismissed and im learning not to dwell on them.Had sore throat and cold symptoms,runny nose,feeling feverish and a few stomach cramps.Appetite rubbish,ordered a take away but just could not eat.

I can empathise with the appetite. I couldn't eat properly for the first couple of weeks and lost a stone (but I've got plenty in reserve ). Try eating little and often, and wet food is helpful, like friut, yoghurt, milky cereal, soup etc.

Try to treat the cold/flu symptoms as just that (but without the usual medicine or cold/flu relief meds). Do what you would usually do, curl up in a blanket or veg out on the sofa if that's what you need to do.

thanks Lauz lea
    Ive managed to eat today and although my cold is awful and i feel really bunged up,i,ve felt relaxed today.....could the fluoxetine be working already? or am i just knakkered!!

Possibly a bit of both. Don't be suprised if you have got a bit of a cold, it is the season after all. Being tired can make you feel like you have cold or flu symptoms too.

The meds may be making your normally anxious or tense body relax a little, go with it and enjoy it

Sun 11th Dec; feeling absolutely abysmal due to this cold,not sleeping at all.Feeling better through the day,if I keep busy,but nighttime is hell.Tingling in my chest and arms again,feel panicky when I awake from a paltry hours sleep....still got nausea,Im so tired and utterly fed up

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information