Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low self esteem thanks to crooked jaw

Re: Low self esteem thanks to crooked jaw

Quote Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
    I too have very low self-esteem due to my crooked jaw... it doesn't help I had other self-esteem problems growing up that beat down my confidence, but my spots have gone, I got braces on my teeth, now the only thing that bothers me is my damn jaw.

It's so crooked that when I look at myself the whole right side of my face is malformed compared to the other... because I had 3 teeth congenitally missing that bone didn't come in (bone grows in your face as your permanent teeth grow) my right eyelid droops, I smile crooked, my back teeth don't touch, my jaw clicks and pops, everything. I feel like one side of my face is pretty and the other is ugly. Forgive me for offensive use of this word but I have no other explanation.. I feel like I look like a retard with my shoved to one side. go look in the mirror and move your lower jaw as far right as you can and tell me how you'd feel posing for pictures. And no. Manually forcing it to the left when I want to smile doesn't hide it. :(

I look okay in the mirror to myself but I was told once that most people are used to seeing only mirror images of themselves and a photograph is not a mirror image, thus everything's reversed and we look totally different to ourselves. similar to being freaked out hearing out voices on tape recorders. When I see me in pictures... I want to tear the picture up.. and then if god willing tear my flesh apart, i get so angry

I've had people ask my friends behind my back what happened to my jaw... was I in a car accident? I wish I had an excuse like that

I thought getting braces would fix it... i thought getting a second opinon from the best ortho in the city would.. when he told me my problem could not be fixed without surgery it was the hardest thing in the world not to burst into tears in front of him

The simple thing of it is that I want this surgery badly... so badly.. and you are right... it may only truly matter what's on the inside, and **** anyone if they judge you otherwise so superficially, but all of the complications and risks, and for how paranoid a person I am about my health, seem a damn small price to pay for crying myself to sleep every night.

30 minutes from now I walk into the oral surgeon's office for a consultation. I hope my dreams aren't crushed.
    could you please tell me how you're doing lately with that problem? I know i ask you 2 years after the post, but I would be grateful if you answered!! xx

due to a motorcycle accident a few years back I landed up with all my front teeth smashed out and a huge scar on left cheek people take me as they find me or its there problem.......lentils

Unhappy Re: Low self esteem thanks to crooked jaw

Hey, i have ****ed teeth also and i find when i look in a mirror my jaw isn't crooked but when i take a photo on my iPhone camera my face is crooked. I've suffered from anxiety most of my life and i often find myself so depressed about this matter. None of my friends say they can notice it but i can. I think they just don't want to hurt my feelings. I really hate my face and really can't be happy until i get facial surgery or braces.

Crooked teeth here too, I dont honestly think my jaw is crooked but I do have sore one where my lower jaw meets my upper one beside my ear. I think mine is caused with arthritis but my head is telling me it is some form of aggressive bone cancer which will eventually contort my face till I really cant go out in case I disgust people so much.

Boy am I glad I'm not the only one with the hole crooked jaw prob.it has come to the point where I hate smiling with teeth because I feel like evlaeryone is looking at me like I'm some weirdo with my chin going off to one side. Therefore I always cover my mouth when I laugh or smile when I'm around other people and I don't smile in pictures with teeth. Not only because the hole jaw situation but because I got my braces off too early and I once again have gaps between my teeth. But not so bad. I still look pretty decent. I'm 17 and this has tooken a tole on my teenage life ;-; but atleast I'm not alone. Maybe you should email me one day and we could vent to eachother about the struggle. Haha well thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. c:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information