Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone took olanzapine??

Re: Has anyone took olanzapine??

I do have to agree with you on this Emphyrio. Olanzapine can be a wonder drug for many with anxiety but it is seriously strong, designed for a different set of symptoms entirely.
    It is quite worrying that some GP`s are happy to dish it out for anxiety before other treatments have been tried. That includes pregabalin.

God i wish hadnt read this thread.... Im on buspar wich is also a d2 dopamine antagonist so i have just had a real scary google ride through tardive dyskinesia land...
    Seeing my doc tomorrow so hes gonna get some questions fired at him...

Nick - I've had a quick look on google - it seems that while there is the possibility of getting TD from buspirone, its very, very minimal. Apparently the dopamine antagonist effects are fairly weak compared with atypical antipsychotics.

Did you know that SSRIs have been associated with tardive dyskinesia and parkinsonism as well? I guess what you have to do is weigh up the possible risks with the benefits various medications can bring - and the risks of TD with buspar appear to be fairly low.

Hi Emphyrio, thanks for checking and reassuring me
    I did some more googling myself and for once at the end was quite positive.

It is something to be aware of though when considering how long to take meds for i think, even if it might cause some more anxiety i do think it's best to be informed about all the risks.
    So double thanks i guess!

Try not to worry or be frightened hun

I was on olanzapine, I was absolutely fine on it, but I had to be changed to something else because olanzapine isn't good if you're a diabetic, it can make it worse and it was worrying my GP.

So I'm now on quetiapine, which is another anti-psychotic.

Try to forget about them being anti- psychotics.

They only become anti-psychotic in much, much larger doses.

In the tiny doses that are used to treat anxiety, they are fine, just like a very mild sedative that doesn't leave you feeling too sedated

They won't alter your mind, the way you think of feel or anything else for that matter, you'd have to be on the huge doses for that effect, and those doses you will never be on hun, because you are not psychotic

Start off slowly, build up gradually, if you feel you need too, and stay in touch with your GP, so as they can see how you're getting on with them.

But to put your mind at rest, I've never had any problems with either olanzapine or quetiapine, and I've found them both to be helpful to me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information