Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Biting the bullet: CBT

Biting the bullet: CBT

Hi all,

I am arranging CBT through Anxiety UK although I have started considering the CBT4PANIC programme instead. I have a few concerns about CBT though as I have never had it before.

Basically I have had a blip which I am starting to come out of. This is the first time I have ever beaten a blip without medication since I became ill 3 years ago. (I always said I'd cry with joy if I came out of a blip without citalopram! Well it might be crying time soon!)

This blip has made me realise a lot of things. One, that I was genuinely recovering from the illness; two, that counselling had reached a "plateau" where it was no longer productive; three, that my anxiety is probably the result of behavioural problems that started when I was very young.

I am pretty sure I would have been diagnosed with ADHD if I was a child today. Also I suffer from intense separation anxiety, massive time management and procrastination issues, and my entire mental workings are geared towards a negative outlook. The citalopram did help a lot and I've done loads of things to help myself but I know that I need to make fundamental changes and I need support with that.

My question is, will CBT help me with this, or should I consider some other type of treatment? I have not touched a dose of cit for nearly 2 months and do not intend to go on it again unless there is no alternative. I feel that if I do not get the right type of help I will probably spend the rest of my life in therapy seeking reassurance.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Re: Biting the bullet: CBT

Poet
    I had CBT and found it to be very useful. It addresses all those thinking habits that come so easily to us that we don't even notice them. It helps you to look at how your thinking affects your outlook on life and how you feel about things. I think that face to face counselling is better if you are not familiar with the techniques and it can be tailored to your needs.
    The other thing it does is to look at now and the future, what has happened in the past has, no doubt, shaped your personality and behaviours but those things cannot be changed so you need to look forward now and work with what you have now. You have identified several areas that you want to work on and CBT will certainly help you to do that.
    Good luck, xx

Thanks Mirabelle for that reassuring post. I'm now in brand new territory and your explanation was very helpful.

I just spoke to my new therapist. She is a qualified psychotherapist who has extensive experience with bipolar disorder, so I proceeded to freak out about being bipolar. She said I am definitely not bipolar I or II but may be vulnerable to developing some type of bipolar illness, or I could simply have personality traits that resemble it. I had to bring the session forward from 2nd Jan to tomorrow night because I was pretty upset. She did reassure me slightly by saying that once I've had a handful of sessions I won't be reacting anything like this, and she said this proves I have bad health anxiety even after all this time.

In the space of a 2 hour (yes, 2 hour) phone call, I have gone from being "extremely optimistic" to "very optimistic with awareness this is gonna be ridiculously tough". I did tell her this won't put me off. I told her there is nothing I won't do to get better, and she says she can help.

So we'll find out tomorrow then.

Sounds promising. Although not sure if I like the sound of all the labels she was giving you. My feeling is that you have identified areas where you need work and are prepared to put the time and effort in. This proactive attitude shows that you have the motivation to get well. Good luck tomorrow.
    xx

We do not have such extensive healthcare coverage so CBT is not covered by my insurance for example.

I have a book by folks who used to practice it but are not sold on its long term curative effect. Their new kick is this:
    The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy [Paperback]
    John P. Forsyth (Author), Georg H. Eifert (Author)

Hi everyone, I will bear in mind what you've said and I have had mindfulness recommended to me a few times so I will look into that.

I've had quite an anxious night; my talk with the therapist really upset me, but like she said, once I've had a few sessions I won't be like this - hopefully! My girlfriend and my family are quite annoyed that the talk with my therapist upset me so much. Maybe though, it's a good thing. She knows pretty much where to start with me. My dad agreed that health anxiety could be the underlying issue.

Unfortunately I woke early and couldn't sleep due to the usual racing heart. My girlfriend said she hopes I get better to the point where the anxiety doesn't rule my life. Me too.

Hi Poet
    I agree with your family, that she shouldn't have left you upset. I know you will benefit from CBT and fingers crossed you will feel better.
    Also, look at the things you are doing now that you couldn't have done before. Remember that a blip is part of the recovery process.
    Claire Weeks is spot on when she says that the only way forward is through the anxiety.
    Gotta love that woman.
    xx

Hi, thanks for the reply! I buggered up by talking about the actual session in another thread. The session was really, really good, and the therapist said I'm already good for the exposure therapy. She is highly confident, but what we're going to do at first is half theory, half therapy, while we explore the painful roots of the illness. We are starting on the health anx due to its frightening grip on me (as in, nearly everything that's wrong with me relates to it in some way). She did say it might be quite surprising how many other issues might clear up when the health anx is gone. My next session is the 2nd of Jan and I hope to keep the rest of my sessions much closer; 2 weeks at this stage might as well be forever!

Hi PP,

You have done good coming off citalopram, and you recognise you need some support system . I had intense CBT last year, which really made sense. Mindfullness is the key to our thinking patterns.

Sadly for me, I was too full of negative thinking pattern to fully stay with all that I learnt in CBT. You seem so focused on wanting to get better, I feel you will stand a great chance utiilising the techniques.

If you need any literature on my CBT sessions, let me know. You have my fb details

Reg
    Ash

Thanks Ash, I'll take you up on that shortly. How many sessions did it take before you got any benefit from CBT?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information