Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Re: Pregabalin - Waiting For Lift Off

Hi All,

Well, I went to see the Dr's after xmas, and explained that I was doing better, but still had some anxiety in the mornings. He suggested upping the evening dose to 150mg, then 75mg as usual in the morning. Reason being that the morning dose only really kicks in by the afternoon.

First time I tried this, it seemed to go well, but on the second day, I felt pretty groggy in the morning, and a headache which got progressively worse through the day.

Decided last night that if I was going to up the dose I'd try it over a long weekend, or at least a time when I could work at home. So I only took 75. Today I feel like sh*t - pretty anxious and tense.

I realise now this was probably a mistake, and its too short a time to have a withdrawal - but now i've started to worry about the future and what it would be like coming off pergabalin from a higher dose.

Now, I suffer badly from tension headaches anyway (when the anxiety is high, my neck, shoulder and back muscles go into spasm, which refers to the side of my head). Also, been having poor sleep patterns over the holidays (mostly self inflicted). Oh yes, and its the first day back at work after a break! Chances are I would have been feeling like this anyway, with or without the increased dose.

So my rational side is telling me to give it a longer go, but the anxious irrational side is well, anxious

Iain

Hi Iain,
    Yes I see what you mean...maybe you're particularly sensitive to the drug? I seem to recall that the Pregabalin was pretty fast-acting for you and you did notice the benefits quite quickly? I think some people have reported that they have felt initially worse when the dose is increased and that it takes a bit of time to get accustomed to it and notice the benefits.
    You could be right about the time of year. I definitely feel considerably more anxious and depressed than I did before the Christmas/New Year period. And that has nothing to do with the Pregabalin!

A lot of people say they get the stressed over christmas, so it makes sense that it must be significantly worse for the GAD sufferer. I guess it is easy to feel negative about the the whole 'event', the preparation, meeting up with family you dont really like, plus the social aspect and the pressure to enjoy yourself when you just want to hide. A new year is also a big milestone where people reflect and make plans.... I find raking over the past, and planning/organising things a great source of anxiety. Also I reckon my level is at least partially seasonal - It was the shortest day on the 21st Dec - this must only amplify the effect.

I'm still struggling today - just finished a call with a potential customer - it was a real struggle. As other people have mentioned I'm finding that i'm stumbling over words a lot, my mind goes blank so i'm unable to finish a

(ok, bad joke)

... and in the middle of one of my blanks, I suddenly found myself thinking "The guy at the other end must think i'm a right wierdo" - instead of concentrating on that elusive word! Arrrg!.

Seriously though, it feels like I have some of the old anxiety symptoms back (although slightly magnified), but leaving out the apprehension/despair side of things. So, it feels different to before, and therefore i'm perhaps irrationally blaming the pergabalin.

So, i'll try 150mg again tonight, and see if I can keep it up until at least the weekend - hopefully by then I will feel a benefit if there's going to be one.

Iain

I know the feeling about the blanks, I get them all the time.
    I hope things settle down a bit for you now and the Pregabalin start doing the job they're supposed to.

Well, spent a couple of days feeling odd after the increase to 150mg in the evening. You hear the word 'dizzy' a lot, but its not a room-spinning type of thing - hard to describe, I felt like I could fall over pretty easily, and kind of clumsy.

Anyway, I had two days of that, but today I feel pretty damn good! Bit of background anxiety in the morning, but by mid morning that was gone.

So 75mg with breakfast, and 150mg with the evening meal. I was thinking of making it 150/150, but i'll stick with this for the time being and see how it goes.

Iain

Hi Iain and Rob,

Hope things are working out for you guys. I felt spacy for several weeks, but that went, along with the dry mouth. Coordination walking took longer to come under control - people watching you walk might think you've been drinking because you veer from side to side occasionally.

But I think it's been worth it. I have to stress that it's not an upper for me - it just takes away the persistent, pointless anxiety that tormented me for years.

Lyrica comes off patent in October 2013, which is the earliest date for a generic to appear. Because it is not listed as a drug for anxiety in Australia, I had to pay the full price, less a part refund from my health fund. I think the price less refund came to about $4 a day ($5 per day full price for 2 x 300 mg). It's not horrendously expensive. Most people wouldn't think twice about paying that for a coffee or a bus fare. So if you've got the money, you can tell the doctor you'll pay the full price.

Because I've been feeling better, I've gone from semi-retirement in Australia to a full-time job in Japan. I've managed to get an extended prescription for several months from my doctor in Australia, but that's running out, so I'm now going to have to try my hand with the Japanese docs. I'll keep you posted!

Hanshan

Hi Hanshan
    Really pleased you're doing well under the Pregabalin
    I do slightly worry about being dizzy and lacking in coordination as I am a clumsy beggar at the best of times!
    As regards cost I thought you had a model similar to the British NHS in Australia - that surprises me. I would be prepared to pay if the Pregabalin works for me. I would consider it as essential as food to my well being.
    But still I'd rather pay my £7.40 a month on the good old NHS!
    Good luck with the new life in Japan, hope you go onwards and upwards!

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your best wishes. I only wish that pregabalin could help others as much as it has helped me.

The coordination thing is a problem. I still feel clumsy just walking, but I've learned some tricks. One is to walk alongside a wall with your fingers just brushing it lightly. This helps to maintain a steady balance.

As for the cost, I think you've hit the nail on the head. We'd willingly pay the price for a certain cure, but at the moment it's a bit of a lottery with mixed results.

And as for Japan, it's fantastic and a challenge. I came here as an English teacher twenty-five years ago (yes, I'm that old), and always wanted to come back, but never did. Then I saw an email at work asking if anyone wanted to go to Japan, and I jumped at it. (And I'm still trying to understand 95% of what I hear and read.)

Hanshan

Hello to you all, I've read your posts (and others regarding pregab) and am considering discussing it with my GP on Monday.

I've been back on Seroxat for nearly 7 weeks and am generally worse than before I went back on it (although its always worked quickly for me in the past).

I wonder if you could advise what SSRI's or other meds you've been on prior to pregab and how you felt on them. I know its still early days for my seroxat to be working but I'm desperate to feel better now, hate feeling worse than I did before.

Hello Luaz, I have tried most of the usual SSRIs most of which had very little effect on me, either good or bad. Seroxat was very unpleasant, especially coming off it. Citalopram was the only one that benefited me but I developed too much of a tolerance for it and did not want to go on to a higher dose. It was very hard coming off that but not as bad as seroxat, if memory serves me right. Prior to Pregabalin I was on the highest dose of Venlafaxine for 5 months. It was awful, turned me into a zombie.
    Pregabalin may well be my last throw of the dice. So far it has made no difference at all but I am only on 100mg a day.
    I hope your GP is receptive to your ideas but don't be surprised if the issue of cost rears its ugly head at some point.
    Best of luck.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information