Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello im new 16 years old

Hello im new 16 years old

Hello, new to this site hoping to talk to people about my anxiety which was caused by an ear virus which escalated my tinitus which hass made me so anxious, since then (1 month ago) the last week i have got derealization/depersonlization and its frightened me to death, i feel like im not here, ive had 3 panic attacks, i look around at my family at the dinner table and do not recognize them and feel like im not here or there not real, but in my heart of course i know they are but im 16 and it scares the hell out of me, when i go out i look back about it later and feel asif it never happened or it wasnt real, im hoping this is just hormones and anxiety mixed together and will go soon, but im dreading christmas as i know i wont enjoyu it as much, i also wake up in night and get very jittery legds and shaky body, i have had some full night sleep but since my panic attack monday i keep waking up around 4/3am, anyone else have tips or anything to help me or talk about it

Hi Conorm

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Re: Hello im new 16 years old

Hi Conorm

Welcome to NMP poppet.

It's not uncommon to start having anxiety/panic attacks after an ear infection because it kinda throws you off balance and can make things quite muzzly. That can be pretty scary for an adult to cope with and it's really good that you recognise what triggered the beginning of your anxiety.

Try to remember though that what you are feeling is only sensations. It can't and won't harm you at all. I know it's frightening and can scare the b'jesus out of you but try not to focus on it.

I would suggest that you go back to your GP and explain to him exactly what is happening an how it is effecting you. I'm quite sure that he/she will ease your mind and that in itself can help so much.

Please try not to worry hun
    Lisa
    xx

thank-you very much, it makes me feel good to know there's people out there that care and give you advice, if it wasn't for me mum I wouldn't be where I am now, its just so frightening and i sometimes feel like i will be like this forever and sometimes i get the feeling like i dont know who i am or losing my mind, i look in the mirror and dont feel like i know myself, its horrid:(, but thanks for the advice, mum also suffers highly from anxiety and took me to doctors and having some councilling after X-Mas which will hopefully help thankyou x

You're welcome huni and please do let us know how you get on.

Lisa
    xx

Hi Conorm - when I was your age I experienced similar symptoms of anx, it was horrible and I really didn't understand what was happening to me. I was so scared.

If the good old internet had been as easy to access then as it is now, I would have been able to understand what was happening to me and I'm so glad that I've found NMP. It's an amazing site with loads of wonderful people and a wealth of information.

You WILL be fine, believe me, you're not alone here. The great thing is that you know what it is, now you need to treat it effectively.

Even though I have days where I struggle when I look in the mirror (sometimes I can't make eye contact with myself because I don't recognise my own reflection), and my closest loved ones look like strangers, it will pass.

Lauz i really do appreciate you saying this it has seriously just now made my belly so much relief, its horrible and i sometimes feel ill be trapped like this forever or that im going to die, panic attacks are the worse, im so glad my mum and dad are here for me, ive forced my self out with my mum last couple days and have actually just got in from a walk to the chemist, but it is ALWAYS worse at nights and i dread them:( but i hope this site and people like you and above will help me through this, again thankyou so much Xx

You're very welcome - sometimes the relief that you're not going mad, and you're not alone can be reassurance enough.

If you haven't looked yet, check out these two links, you'll find them very useful:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/ocd/

Knowing what it is, how to recognise it and how to deal with it can bring you amazing inner strength and help you in the future

Thanks Lauz_lea these will definitely help me out, going to town tomorrow and watching football in the evening at the pub with my mum and dad and lil sister, these are big steps as since this is trying to overtake my life only been out twice, but i cant let it do that, thanks for your caring and i will let you know how i get on <3 .. conor xx

First, thank you for teaching me a new word. I had no idea what "derealization" was until you described it, and then I realized that I've felt that before too--I just didn't know there was a word for it I felt it mostly when I was dealing with depression, which in my case was caused by a hormone imbalance (but I don't think you have the same thing, since I'm a woman ). But I certainly can see it being linked to your ear problem. Ear infections can cause all sorts of strange and scary feelings.

I'm glad you have parents who are so understanding. I hope that's a big help. I do hope you talk to your doctor since the problem keeps happening--maybe he should make sure the ear virus is gone. I think you have already taken some important steps, though, like talking to your parents about how you're feeling, and planning to get help to treat it.

It's good that you're getting out and trying to take your mind off of it. I think social interaction can be really helpful in dealing with anxiety if you have understanding people to talk to, and it sounds like you do. I understand what you mean about night being the worst. I think even people who don't usually have anxiety can be confronted with their worst fears at night. I'm concerned that you're not sleeping well, though, because I find that lack of sleep can make my anxiety even worse. Have you tried ways to relax before bed? Deep breathing? Yoga? Writing in a journal? It may sound a little silly, but the idea is to find something that will help you get some rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information