Thread: Binge Eating

Binge Eating

I know they're is such a thing as comfort-eating which I often indulge in but could there be such a thing as panic-eating? In a very short space of time I have consumed a very large box of Roses and 6 mince pies. Not surprisingly I feel slightly sick. I also feel disgusted with myself and very depressed. I am now panicking that I may do this again at some point. I now feel that I must fast tomorrow to make up for what I have done today.
    I am worried that I am getting a serious eating disorder. I have a weight problem that is getting out of control and am in danger of going from slightly overweight to clinically obese in just a matter of months.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Oh well...
    Eat, drink, be merry, take responsibility and live with the consequences of you actions.
    Merry Christmas everybody.

Re: Binge Eating

Well binge eating is an eating disorder of sorts.
    Looks like you were eating as a distraction? Emotional eating maybe.
    Not sure if your finding it hard to controle what you eat, as in food controls you.

Being more aware of why your eating and knowing the calorie content can help.
    It's much easier to not gain the weight than to try to loose it x

Yeah , it's all emotional but I eat it with a sense of sheer panic and very quickly as if I shouldn't be doing it. I've cut my drinking down considerably, maybe that's the reason.

I do this. I still do this, I should say. I eat because when I'm eating, I tend not to focus so much on the horrible physical symptoms of panic. I don't notice what my head or my heart's doing, and I don't repeatedly check my pulse. Of course, afterwards I feel far worse. I feel as though I'm tempting fate; that I'll have a heart attack - or worse.

I never had a massive problem with my weight before this year... I was a bit overweight, but I was active, eating healthily, fairly fit and on my feet all day. So it's definitely an emotional thing. But it's a medication thing, too. I'm always hungry. And when I eat, it's like nothing satisfies.

Are you taking anything? It could be that if you are, that's not helping the problem. A food replacement diet might help. I've just looked into re-starting the Cambridge Weight Plan in the New Year (I did it before I became ill, and I lost a lot of weight quite quickly). I'll be doing the Sole Source option, which eliminates 'real' food (and thus temptation to overeat) entirely. Worth a look?

Well, I have just started Pregabalin but I don't think it's really kicked in yet. Like you iIm very worried about the health implications of over eating and now I've only gone and given myself something else to worry about. Today I will just eat fruit and something very light.
    My exercise programme has gone out the window and I must get back to the gym in the new year.
    I've never followed a prescribed diet before but maybe it's about time I did. I'll have a look at the ones you suggested.
    Merry Christmas to you Emma.

Ah, I take Pregabalin - and it's that (in combination with Quetiapine) that's causing the appetite! I think.

Merry Christmas to you, too. Here's hoping 2012's a better year for all of us.

Oh great I've that to look forward to then!
    Point is, does the Pregabalin work? I'm only on day 5@100mg and so far nothing...
    Back on the treadmill then

Honestly? I think it does. I'm taking 500mg daily... Actually, as I understand it, it's only really effective for anxiety/panic at 500/600mg daily. But I've gone from six or so severe panic attacks every day to none. The anxiety's still there - and sometimes it's quite hard to control - but at least I'm not all-out panicking anymore. Give it time!

Hey. I understand but i feel sorry for you that you did eat so much. WOuld you be able to afford to see somebody next year? there is a hypnotist in my area who has a very good success rate with the hypnoband. I am going to see him to work on other things like my confidence. Could you afford therapy?

DO you get dizzy if you don't eat heavy foods? Is your anxiety worse? DO you feel really ill and snappish if you don't eat. This is how i react with food and also overeat.

I don't earn a great deal but I would pay for something if I really thought it was worth it. I often feel extremely hungry but I must say that I really enjoy food too and when I'm eating it's often one of the few pleasures I still have in life. It wouldn't be so bad if I weren't surrounded by food so often. I feel restless a lot of the time and i gravitate towards food when I'm stressed and I don't know when to stop.
    I guess I'm just not very disciplined.

Thread Information