Thread: Is this depersonalisation / derealisation?

Is this depersonalisation / derealisation?

Just lately I've been feeling :

- like I'm going crazy
    - out of touch with reality
    - like I'm in someone else's body
    - scared I won't recognise my family
    - feeling like im in a dream
    - surreal

Are all these feelings part of anxiety (depersonalisation / derealisation ) or am I actually crazy?

xx

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

Please someone help, im getting intrusive thoughts that are scary now :( is this part of anxiety? I really feel like I'm going crazy :( x

Re: Is this depersonalisation / derealisation?

Hiyer, me again

Every single part of your post shows recognisable symptoms of anxiety. I know I have said it before, but it is worth repeating, I have suffered exactly as you are now; intrusive thoughts, feeling I am going crazy, feeling as if my body is not my own, feeling as if I am not 'in the world'. There are many many others here too who will empathise with every word you say.

Yes Panicliss, this is depersonalisation/derealisation. Have you considered buying and reading some of the Claire Weekes books, I think they might help you.

Take Care

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 ----------

Regarding intrusive thoughts - do a forum search and you will end with stacks of threads and posts to read detailing exactly what you are describing. You will not lose control, you will not 'go mad', no matter how close and real that feels to you right now in your debilitated state. I don't even want to write down the intrusive thoughts I've had in past years, as they were not pleasant (to say the least ) but they are nothing more than an over wrought nervous system tricking you !

Yes, it's depersonalisation / derealisation....

In the height of my anxiety, it was one of the most distressing symptoms for me. I felt so distant from everyone, like I was living in a glass cage, or like I was a ghost. Everything seemed to happen in slow motion, my feelings were numb. Thankfully, it eventually lifted, and I've not had it for a long time.

Once a counsellor told me that when we get 'depersonalisation', it's our brain / body's way of 'numbing' our intense negative feelings by making us feel spaced out.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

sounds like depersonalisation / derealisation, i also feels a bit like "brain fog".
    its a very common symptom of anxiety. i had it for months, then it went away. sometimes it would come back but then going away again only because i don't give it to scare me. actually, i feel it right now...

i have friends who don't suffer from anxiety, and sometimes after a long and hard day they tell me that they feel "weird, not here, foggy, spaced out". its a normal human feeling, when your brain feels "it is too much for me" it sort of going to rest, and that what gives you that spaced out feeling, a hard day at work can trigger it, everyday stress, or in our case, anxiety. the difference between us and people that don't suffer from anxiety is that they don't give those feeling the catastrophic meaning we give them. they just go to sleep and wake up fresh. we on the other hand, can't let go. we start to analyze this in out heads, we start to think "what if?", those thoughts make the anxiety worse, which make the symptoms worse and so on... the anxiety cycle begins.

yep!! and yep!!! and yep!!! had it for years - I get it as part of something called dissociation. it won't harm you even if it can be scary at times (and oddly for me, welcome - since a kid i have learnt how to go into this state) -

anyway, try not to worry. it feeds on fear ( i know this is easy to say, hard to do). apparently in biological terms it's the brains way of protecting itself when its overloaded (like when you've been anxious for ages). It's a bit like a computer 'shutdown', says i've had enpugh for now - need a rest!!

But you're not losing it.

lots of love hyper xx

Thankyou all for your messages I really do feel reassured horrible to know that you've all been through it / going through it but comforting to know that I'm not alone, they really are horrible and scary feelings and has to be one of the worst anxiety symptoms for me. All of the information you've shared with me really does make sense and is good to know so when I'm scared and freaked out about it I will remember what you've all said this sight is amazing! Thankyou all and lots of love xx

Thread Information