Page 1 of 540 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: should i swap???

should i swap???

Hi hope everyone had a lovely xmas im just after some advice, i was on 30mg of cit up until june time this yr and it was great i felt fab so i tapered off it but too quickly i think (within a month) well come september the panic attacks and anxiety started again so i started on 10mg again and ive gradually worked my way up to 30mg, had awful side effects, dreadful heightened anxiety etc, as my anxiety was so bad the doctor put me on 5mg of olanzapine which has stopped the morning retching (i retched every morning for about 2 months) and has calmed my anxiety alot but surely after 15 weeks on cit i should be feeling loads better??? i did last time??? im still slightly anxious but more depressed of late so down and unhappy that all i want to do is go to bed (never been depressed b4 usually im climbing the walls with my anxiety levels!!), im having councilling and some cbt weekly but do you think its worth me asking to change AD's as really don't think there helping just the olanzapine is, ive heard that sometimes an AD doesn't work aswel for you second time round so maybe its that?? sorry for the long post xx
    Last edited by nicola1980; 29-12-11 at 10:06.

Re: should i swap???

Hi Nicola

so sorry you are feeling so bad .......horrible time .
    I cannot say anything about Cit because I have never had it so just dont know .
    But SSRIs were awful for me ....short time on prozac had me so bad .

I am a big advocate for docs to go back to tricyclics like Lofepramine etc . The side effects to me were so much easier to deal with dry mouth ,spacy a bit .

My doctor put me on mix of lofepramine during the day and Dosulepin at night .
    I got my life back .
    So maybe ask your doc to consider the old fashioned tricyclics . YES they are more dangerous in overdose .........but heck !!! if they help we aint going down that road anyway.

You keep going lovely lady ........just a thought for you. the NICE guidelines recommend Cit al the time .....but we are individual people who need different meds .
    You will get there Nicola xxxxx

15 weeks is long enough for it to be in your system so should be having a positive effect by now.

I would talk to your doctor, and tell them that you're not feeling any better and that you want to change medication!
    15 weeks is a long enough time to feel crappy!

Perhaps they would suggest putting you up to 40mg, that might actually help, sometimes the extra or less 10mg in a dose does work wonders.
    Or they might switch you to another SSRI which may work better, not all of them work well for everyone. This way you also don't have to stop taking the citalopram suddenly you can just switch over to another which is easier than if you were to start on a different type of anti-depressant.

I hope you start feeling better soon, I'm sure you will.

Thanks for your replies, will def be going back to see my doctor, the olanzapine has worked wonders on my anxiety but im left with this low depressed feeling...........maybe cit just isn't going to work properly this time xx

I am on my second time treatment after 10 years medication free ... the first time I was treated with Zoloft 50mg (Sertraline) for just over a year and worked fine, had my life back. When went back this time I told my GP I was treated before and told him the medication but he wanted to try Citalopran and I started 10mg for 2months, did not think was holding my anxiety ... side effect was over but still having episodes of anxiety, so we put it up to 20mg and I am having the side effects of adjusting the dosage, but I am confident it will work.
    Maybe you body is used to the medication and talking to your doc he could try some others ... I am treating only anxiety, not depression ... I have/had bad panic attacks and I don't have any symptom of depression ... I do get UPSET sometimes for having this attacks again, going on medication again, feeling anxious even taking meds, having some horrible symptoms even taking meds, all that sometimes kind of let me down , upset but not depressed. But I will beat it , I've done it before and will do it again ... if I get another 10 years FREE of meds I am up for it !!! Good Luck Nicola , hope you feel better.
    Lol Pat

HI nicola, when i started cit for the second time, it took longer to work, and i needed a higher dose.

But it did work eventually, and i feel really good now, however your gp is the best guide for you, hope you had a good christmas xx

hi, well phoned docs this morning and got an appointment for 8:20am so after rushing about getting ready in 10 mins i turned up there in a right fluster lol!!! well hes decided to up my dose to 40mg of cit so will see how it goes, do you think ill get side effects again by upping just 10mg?? xx

Hi Nicola, when i increased my dose by 10mg, i can't say i got bad side effects, maybe slight increase in anxiety, but nothing i could'nt handle, and never lasted more than 2 or 3 days nothing like starting cit.

On a positive note, the increase kicked in much quicker so hopefully you will feel the benefits quite soon, good luck x

You should'nt get much in the way of side effects from a 10mg increase Nicola. I just put mine up from 30 to 40 this morning so if you do you're not alone

Thanks as i got an early appointment i was able to start 40mg this morning instead of my usual 30mg xx

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by william wallace View Post
    You should'nt get much in the way of side effects from a 10mg increase Nicola. I just put mine up from 30 to 40 this morning so if you do you're not alone
    Good luck keep me posted how your doing xx

Page 1 of 540 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread Information