Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Codeine for anxiety?

Codeine for anxiety?

In know that codeine isn't generally prescribed for anxiety....may be not at all....I am not sure, but I do know it works for anxiety. I don't know at what levels it works though?

I am not talking about illegal useage or anything, just the small amount that is in my co codamol. I have quite a bit of 8/500 in the house from when I had a knee injury and some 30/500, however, the latter makes me itch like mad so is unpleasant to take.

I used to be prescribed occassional diazepam but I am not allowed them anymore and tbh, I understand why not but I am finding this time of year difficult without them.

Anyway, the lastcouple of days I have taken 2 ofthe 8/500for a headache and I felt that I relaxed a little too. Maybe it was coincedence or maybe I felt more relaxed because my headache was gone? Whatever, I am curious to know if it was the codeine that worked on my anxiety? I am not going to take them for anxiety, I just like knowing what is happening in my body and if I can truelly be affected by this small amount I will have to be careful of driving.

Does anyone know anything? Could my mood really have been affected by this small amount or is it my imagination?

Happyone

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Re: Codeine for anxiety?

Imagination and the headache going I would imagine. The amount of codeine in co-codamol is so small I really dont think it would have a noticable effect, and you wouldnt want to take enough to get an effect because of all the paracetamol in the tablets !

Yes I find co-codamol quite relaxing, I believe it is because it is from the 'opiate' family do will have a calming effect. I tend to take some effervescent 8/500 when my stomach is really churning from anxiety.
    I also have fibromyalgia so I find it helps to relax my muscles.

However, do not exceed the stated dose etc etc because it can be highly addictive and certainly should NOT be used for anxiety.

Hi funny you should post this as i had a really bad headache last week which made my anxiety sky high and took some soluble co-codamol and it completely relaxed me to the point i fell to sleep which isn't like me at all when im in a high state of anxiety?? i very rarely take it only if im suffering a bad headache that paractamol won't shift, codeine is addictive tho as it says on the packet that it can be addictive after 3 days?? xx

Im glad someone posted about codeine.I was taking the high dose 30/500 for many weeks alongside diclofenic for a back problem and it really did relax me and help me drift off to sleep,but i realised I

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

was becoming a bit reliant on them so stopped taking them and used ice/heat for the pain instead,thankfully my problem has eased.
    but a month ago my panic attacks and anxiety started,so im now on fluoxetine
    ive had a few 'good days' but tonight,i have the most awful headache,something i rarely suffer from.....
    i have no paracetamol,but i do have some cocodamol 30/500 would it be safe to take one?

Taking one should be fine.

Thanks everyone,

I have been reading a bit on the net and it says that peoples susceptibility to the effects varies widely. I know that if I take one tablet of 30/500 then I itch like crazy for several hours so I suppose it figures that my mental reaction may be quite sensitive too. I think the 2 x 8/500 has had a mild opiate effect on me but I am not going to try to to abuse this as I know how quickly it could become a problem.

Happyone

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
    —Mark Twain

Hey,

Codeine can cause euphoria. However, relying on this to help your anxiety is not the best way. Codeine is highly addictive, it's the equivalent to constantly using alcohol to get rid of anxiety in social situations. Be careful...I suggest that you try your best to find another way to cope and drop the codeine.

~"...to reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people :
    Yes, We Can!!!! ~

Wolfieeeeee

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't codeine turn into mOrpheine once it's in your body?
    It's also great to stop a cough if you have a bad one

Yes, codeine is an opiate, so acts in the same way as opium / morphine / heroin, this is why it works well as a painkiller.

Small amounts of codeine on their own arent really dangerous, its taking them in co-codamol, as you are also taking large doses of paracetamol in the same tablet, so to get any real effect from the codeine by taking a lot of pills, you are taking a huge amount of paracetamol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information