Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Codeine for anxiety?

Re: Codeine for anxiety?

is ibuprofen safe to take with fluoxetine?

yea that should be fine hun . x

thanks for quick reply,im in agony!!!

I take 30mg solophadol for migraines most days.
    I don't find it helps with anxiey just makes me tired.
    I've been on solphadol for 3 years now.

came across this post whilst dare I say it Google , and have been highly anxious all day despite taking a diazepam this morning so I could spend some time with my kids today , anyway I have protruding discs L1-L5 so have these prescribed by my GP and to be honest due to the addictive nature of them really at best try avoid taking them.

Anyway all day stressed out , high anxiety that much my head was bursting , 30 mins a go took 2 30/500's and headache gone and a kind of floaty feeling which has been a change as anxiety bad all week, so perhaps there is merit in your post perhaps it does have a calming effect and its not in the mind.

I wouldnt recommend though as a long term solution, prior to these I was on tramadol not knowing what they were other than for my back , I just thought of them as asprin , but was taking for three years and when in hospital last year the shrink advised I shouldnt be on them as they were not compatible with my mirtazipine and instructed them to stop giving me them , that was what I can only describe as pure hell of a withdrawal.

After what doctors could best diagnose as a simultaneous melt down and non physically debilitating stroke ( damage appeared to have been minor motor skills, memory, stuttering when talking, low tolerance levels for irritation and frustration, anxiety and depression ) , I came home from a high stress job a total wreck. For the next several years, I fought to get back on my feet mentally. After going through all sorts of medications that only seemed to make the problems worse, I realized one day that the Tylenol 3 tablets that I would occasionally take for severe back pain would seem to greatly reduce my anxiety levels to where things were bearable.
    The doctors were not at all impressed when I shared this with them and in the end, I was put on ativan because Tylenol 3's are addicting and probably really did not work. I still take them when my anxiety is really bad and they work better than anything and faster too. I've read that Extra Strength Tylenol will also aid with anxiety and while it may help with very mild attacks, when I have ones like i have had over the last several days, the only thing that will relieve the anxiety is half a T-3 tablet. I take a half a tablet and in ten to fifteen minutes, I am able to function fairly well although still not to the capacity that I used to before my life went sideways that day.
    I do not and have not found T-3's to be addicting as I take them as needed - sometimes one a day - sometimes none for several days to a week. There are no feelings of euphoria nor do I seem to ever have any problems with bowel movements or anything else. I take half a tablet ( if the attack is a really severe one usually brought about by a lot of stress - I will take a full tablet - but usually half is enough ) and my thinking is clear and I am able to make choices and decisions which when undergoing an attack, I am pretty much useless.
    I am not recommending T-3's for everyone as our metabolisms are different and what may work for one person may not work for the next. Fr myself though, I have found what works for me despite what the doctors say. One thing that I have learned is doctors are human beings and they do make wrong judgment calls and they are not always right, such in my opinion, is the case with me.

Quote Originally Posted by impcon View Post
    I realized one day that the Tylenol 3 tablets that I would occasionally take for severe back pain would seem to greatly reduce my anxiety levels to where things were bearable.

The doctors were not at all impressed when I shared this with them and in the end, I was put on ativan because Tylenol 3's are addicting and probably really did not work.
    I just googled this so forgive me if I am wrong but Tylenol 3 is basically 300mg paracetamol and 30mg codeine, so pretty much the US equivalent of the 30/500 co-codamol we have over in the UK.

I also use co-codamol / tylenol 3 for pain and I agree they certainly do produce a calming effect. Basically because they get converted into morphine in the body. I try to only take mine for pain but often times the pain causes anxiety/stress and if I am completely honest I'm not sure if it is the pain relief or the relaxation that helps me cope.

They can be addictive if abused, i.e. taken purely for the 'high'. But personally I would be way more worried about getting addicted to ativan (Lorazepam), than codeine.

Having said that some people do get addicted to over the counter codeine pills - Nurofen plus, Paramol, Syndol etc, and can do real damage because they take too many and the paracetamol or ibuprofen screws them up.

I strongly recommend people do not use codeine to self-medicate for anxiety.

It is true that codeine can be addictive, I know someone this happened to so you should be careful if taking it. I don't really know how helpful it would be but did just want to flag up the possibility of addiction, I imagine you'd have to take it regularly to become addicted so occasional use would be ok, just the same as it would for an occasional headache.

I agree with Tessar and yenool.

I personally think that when you go down the route of an opiate to control anxiety, it doesn't matter how innocuous it may be as a standard painkiller, I think you are playing with fire, and using it to treat something which is not the purpose it was designed for.

Painkiller addictions are huge these days, exactly for this reason. That people pop them to feel 'good' and not to treat pain, or else they start by treating pain, but then get reliant for more.

It is far better to discuss the fact your anxiety meds are not working effectively wth your doctor than go this route, and if people who take it as a ' very low dose' and claim they are 'not hooked and can stop periodically' really can, then why keep taking it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information