Thread: Weaning off citalopram

Weaning off citalopram

Right. Been on citalopram now since October and recently decided to go to 30 mg as my anxiety was just creeping back in again. I wish I hadn't done this as I have been light headed and dozy for days now. Now to start decreasing the citalopram so I can try something else. Anyone ha any experience of doing this. Will I feel worse. What is the usual medication after citalopram?

Adam

Re: Weaning off citalopram

Hi Adam, ues i have reduced from 60mg to 20mg/

I have reduced by just 5mg every 4=6 weeks, so very slowly. having said that, it has only been a couple of months for you so still early days, and when you first increase you can get some side effects for a week or so before the meds settle.

Maybe your gp will want to try another ssri, but you may feel a lot better in a week or so on your increases dose, either way good luck xx

I'm assuming that you were taking 20mg? Chances are that you levelled out at that dose and need the 30mg. If you are a big lad say 90-100 kg 20mg would probably not be enough. A 50% increase is going to take a while to settle so you should give it another week or so. Citalopram is one of the better SSRI's so please give it a chance, dont mess up your meds

Hi bigmorts

Increasing your dose of citalopram will give you some side effects for about 10days so try to be patient with it. For me increasing to 30mg didnt make much difference but increasing to 40mg did, anxiety decreased, depression lifted.

Citalopram is one of the simpler & more effective ssri's but it needs several months to become established, I'd say it worked best after 6mths. Ive been on it for nearly 3yrs now & life is feeling good again.

Good luck in finding an ssri that suits you, but remember that each one you try will still need time to become effective.

Thanks everyone. I'm really considering just sucking it up and going for it. 20 to 30 can't be that much hassle. My anxiety is through the roof thinking about it all. I really don't want to waste it all now. Just so difficult to do anything when I'm so lightheaded. Doc wants me to exercise and do positive things but this is hard if I feel like I'm gonna faint all the time.

Thread Information