Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal of my Experience

Journal of my Experience

Hello fellow fluoxetine users! I've suffered from anxiety for many years, but just started taking fluoxetine (10 mg). (Today is actually my 8th day on it.) I've really liked reading other people's posts about their experiences day-to-day on the medicine, so I thought I'd join in too.

1st day: December 23rd - I finally had scheduled a doctor's appointment for today, but it was a new doctor and I was meeting with him just to establish care, so I wasn't sure if he'd suggest anything for my anxiety. The meeting went great and when I told him about my anxiety and panic attacks he asked me lots of questions. I also told him I previously took propranolol a few years ago for my performance anxiety (before I had to give big presentations in school). He gave me a prescription for 10 mg of fluoxetine and said he should help me feel better and also get to sleep easier. He mentioned it might make me tired or give me energy, so I may want to take it either in the evening or morning. He also said that when I come back for my physical (January 20th) that he'll see how the medicine is working and if I may need a higher dosage. I went and had the prescription filled that evening and even though the doctor suggested that I not take it for a few days (I was just getting over a stomach bug) I felt so bad that I decided to take it that night.

2nd day: December 24th - I felt about the same all day, still anxious, but not worse. That evening around 9:30 I actually started to feel a little better.

3rd & 4th days: December 25th & 26th - Feeling better only lasted for that evening and I was back to feeling anxious on the 25th, but the feeling wasn't overwhelming.

5th day: December 27th - My first day back at work after starting the fluoxetine. I could hardly concentrate and felt even more anxious all day. I thought getting a good night's sleep would help, but I had a horrible night of tossing and turning.

6th day: December 28th - I'm not sure if it was just the lack of sleep, but this was my worst day. I went through three different states all day: extremely anxious, anxious and sad, and tired, which then repeated over and over again. I felt like there was so much nervousness inside of me that I was going to jump out of my skin! I also had a lot of trouble concentrating and hardly got any work done. Later in the day I started to experience small periods of sadness (for no reason) and I felt like I was about to cry. (I don't normally feel this way.) When the anxiety and sadness subsided for short periods of time I felt exhausted. After work I called the doctor (I talked to one on call) who said that maybe I should stop taking the fluoxetine. I cried a little bit when I got home, because I want to get better, but I don't want to feel this way either! However, by about 9:00, after reading other people's experiences on here, I began to feel better. Luckily, I also had a really good night sleep that night.

7th day: December 29th - Even though the doctor said to stop taking the fluoxetine, I woke up feeling much better that morning, so I decided that I would keep taking it. I had a really good day, the best so far. I actually felt normal, happy, and not anxious! There were some small bits of trouble, but nothing compared to the previous day. The only thing that really bothered me was a headache, but that was probably because I've had no appetite so I haven't been eating very much. However, by the evening I had some of my appetite return.

8th day: December 30th - I woke up feeling pretty good today. My appetite seems to be nearly normal and I only have a bit of a headache. I usually take advil, but I'm afraid to mix anything with the fluoxetine in case it has some weird interaction. I haven't even had caffeine since I started! I tried to drink a coke today, but I didn't have much since I'm paranoid that it might cause some feelings of anxiety to come back. Oh, one more side effect I've experience is dry mouth. I've just been drinking a ton of water, which seems to help, and I'm hoping everything will return to normal soon.

Thanks for reading and I hope sharing this will help someone else who's going through something similar! I'll try to update every day.

Re: Journal of my Experience

Welcome this site is amazing and you will get lots of help.

I didn't know they did Prozac in 10mg!? It's a very low dose I think . . .

I'm currently on my 6th week of this med at 20mg a day and will be upping my dose in week 8 to 40mg for anxiety and panic disorder.

Good luck with everything and keep posting, it can be very therapeutic.

Does 40mg help with anxiety and panic then? I have found prozac quite stimulating.

Quote Originally Posted by mallan82450 View Post
    Welcome this site is amazing and you will get lots of help.

I didn't know they did Prozac in 10mg!? It's a very low dose I think . . .

I'm currently on my 6th week of this med at 20mg a day and will be upping my dose in week 8 to 40mg for anxiety and panic disorder.

Good luck with everything and keep posting, it can be very therapeutic.
    Thank you! I guess 10mg is pretty low, since from what I've seen 20mg is the "standard" starter dosage. Although I'm glad he started me out at such a low dosage since I had some bad side effect even from that!

Quote Originally Posted by Catya View Post
    Does 40mg help with anxiety and panic then? I have found prozac quite stimulating.
    Personally im not sure yet as I haven't upped to that dosage but from what I've been told by my doctor 40mg is the therapeutic dose for anxiety. I'll be thr first to agree that Dr's will differ in their opinion.

I don't like feeling tired, it makes me panic, so I probably havent felt it if it's stimulating.

Yes side effects can be horrible! I went through a few tough days but it's definitely been worth it.

9th Day

Yesterday didn't end quite as well as I'd hoped. My throat had been feeling tight all day, but I'd been able to ignore it because I knew it was just a symptom of anxiety. Then around 10:30 I was sitting on the couch with my fiance, watching TV, when BAM! a panic attack struck. It didn't last very long, maybe a few minutes, but it was very intense. I felt like I couldn't get enough air and my mind immediately jumped to needing to go to the emergency room, because something was really wrong. Usually I try to reason with myself and assure myself that if there was actually something wrong with me that I would know. After a few minutes the worst of the panic had subsided, but I couldn't stop shaking.
    Luckily last night I got a very good night's sleep, so I'm hoping there won't be any problems today! I am a little nervous since it's New Year's Eve... Usually I like to drink a little something, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mix alcohol with a drug that I've only been taking for a little over a week. What have been other people's experiences with prozac and alcohol? I don't want to mess up the progress I've made so far!

10th Day

Happy New Year everyone!
    Yesterday turned out to be a fairly good day. In the morning I had a little of the jittery, jump out of your skin feeling, but nowhere near as bad as before. Once I forced myself to start cleaning and do laundry (plus I took my pill at 1:00) I felt lots better. We even had a few people over for aa nice, low key new year's. I had one glass of champagne at midnight, so I'm hoping that doesn't come back to bite me today!

Today has not been quite as good as I'd hoped. I feel sort of anxious with some random mood swings. When I was in the shower today I felt slightly like crying and then shortly afterwards I felt very happy (both for no reason). Also today it's been harder to keep out those nagging, jump to the worst conclusion, kind of thoughts, which are a big contributor to my anxiety. I'm hoping this set back is mostly from the alcohol (even if it was only one glass) and that tomorrow will bring only good things! Today I also noticed that my dry mouth is nearly gone, but I still only have about 50% of my normal appetite. It's strange because I get hungry, but then as soon as I'm eating it's like my desire for food goes away. I'm not going to complain too much about that though, because I wanted to lose some weight anyway!

Hope everyone's having a wonderful new year's day!
    Last edited by lizerie; 01-01-12 at 22:11. Reason: Update

11th day

Woke up to snow this morning, so that was nice! Even though I hate the cold, it's always fun to watch those fluffy little flakes.
    Last night turned out pretty good, I felt relaxed until I was about to fall asleep. (That's when a lot of the intrusive thoughts come in or I can't help but pay attention to those strange things my body is doing and I start to panic.) It was weird though because I felt all the body symptoms of a panic attack, but my brain didn't pay any attention to it and I could ignore them until they went away!
    Hopefully today continues to be good! My office is closed today, so that's another plus!

13th day

Sorry there wasn't an update yesterday! I went back to work and my mom came into town, so that left little time for anything else. Yesterday was actually a really good day - no anxious feelings or obsessive thoughts. I felt good! I'm hoping this continues on today. The only problem I seem to have is these weird headaches. Usually when I get a headache the pain slowly gets worse and unless I take advil, or something like that, then it won't get better on its own. Now I get these headaches where it kind of feels like pressure is building up in a small spot on my head (although it switches spots every time) and then it disappears. They might only last a minute or two; does anyone else get this?

Im taking fluoxetine and have been getting headaches at night mainly,just in one spot ,like you said,but always at the back right of my head.
    I used to suffer with this before the Fluoxetine and doc told me to change my pillow,which I did and it went.Im putting it down to lack of sleep this time....all that tossing and turning!!!!

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information