Thread: Skipped Heartbeats - HELP!

Skipped Heartbeats - HELP!

Hi everyone! I've not posted for a while but felt that I've needed to talk to someone about my Skipped Heartbeats. Medication wise I'm on Lanzopozole for Hiatus Hernia and Acid Reflux, Salboutomal for Asthma, Citalopram and Diazparam for anxiety.

For around 2-3 years I've gone through periods when I get consistant skipped heartbeats. They range from 1 to 10-15 a minute, this is how it feels BEAT BEAT BEAT .............. BOOM! Then it continues! I've had numerous tests over the years such as Blood tests, ECG, ECG Exercise machine, 24 hour tape, Echo. All that come back was that I had eptopic heartbeats which are benign.

Recently its got a lot worse, i've been to my GP but his still not concerned ans said that some athletes suffer from it.

I really would like to know what people have done which has helped their symptoms (Even herbel stuff)

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon

Liam - I'm 28

Re: Skipped Heartbeats - HELP!

Hi Liam, I've had palpitations for a few years now and I totally sympathise as they are horrible!

If you've had all the medical tests and been told that theres nothing wrong with your heart then that is a huge reassurance. Its just managing them that is difficult. Ive heard that taking a magnesium supplement can work really well but i've not tried it yet, keep forgetting to get some!
    Vitamin C too can have a positive effect.

Cutting out tea/coffee/coke is worth a try as the caffeine can aggravate them, and alcohol seems to bring mine on. Some of your meds might be causing them too, they are a common side effect of some medications - I'm on Citalopram too and its listed in the side effects.

If you know they are not because of a heart problem then I would say just try to let them go over your head - easier said than done - but I say this because anxiety is a major trigger from what i've read and so if you can relax through them then they might start to decrease.

Hope this helps!

Hi Liam

Iva had these for years too, ranging from a few a minute to 20 -30. It can ba awful. Ive got a Hiatus Hernia too!

I agree with chrystal17 re the caffiene and alcohol - though easier said than done to give up these.

Acouple of suggestions - Rennie Deflatine contains a chemical which can reduce ectopics/missed beats. Some people swear by this, though it didnt do the job for me.
    The thing which worked for me is Bisoprolol. After trying several meds which made things worse the Bisoprolol was wonderful. Its a Betablocker which protects the heart from adrenaline and a happy side effect can be a reduction in ectopics. There are side effects but they vary. It might be worth discussing these with your doc. It may be that Bisoprolol could be a substitute for your existing anxiety med, but im no expert.

One other thing. I had palpitations/ectopics for years before my doctor would take action. I can understand this viewpoint as doling out meds like confetti isnt ideal. However I also understand how difficult these symptoms can be to deal with. Finding a way to deal with this without meds is easlily the best way, but failing this dont allow the medical profession to fob you off.

Thanks to both of you for your comments.

Thread Information