Thread: Why now ???? Illness makes me panic

Why now ???? Illness makes me panic

hi im a newbee here im 41 and been diagnosed as having Dystonia and ET and depression but also OCD i have had CBT and it worked until this week in our community and kids schools Norovirus is doing the rounds so like an idiot i pulled our kids out of school for 4 days my anxeity has gone heavenwards i think (not religious) and feel soooo rotten its untrue , i feel both stupid and not normal like other folks who just go hey ho so what , i also all year round wash my hands and use antibacterial hand gel several times a day.

I used to be outgoing and so full of life without a care in the world i spent 12yrs on an RNLI Lifeboat both as a crew member and a ships officer 2nd Mechanic and 5yrs as a cliff rescue climber for the HM Coastguard and was a fisherman , now the wierd part you give me a fish to fillet or gut now no worries , give me an engine to get running i.e. oil and muck no worries , you tell me someone is feeling ill and wham i want to shut myself away in the bedroom away from everyone this all happened after i was diagnosed with the previous conditions and was forced to retire from the SAR Services and sell my 25ft fishing vessel then the OCD started but i cant for the life of me remember why ? , i used to grab sick or injured or body parts rotting from the sea or deal with sea sick folks without hesitation so i am struggling as to why now ?

Is it controling my life yes , but worse still its starting to control my wifes and childrens lives also and this makes me sadden , hope this write up helps someone somewhere realise there are others out here

I wish you all a Happy New Year may the sun shine on us for 2012 folks

Re: Why now ???? Illness makes me panic

it does help a lot. I dont have the hand wash thing but i do have the checking and counting which, as i type now looks dumb but its what i have. I hide it well though as have had years of practise . Its exhausting though. I have to check or do things a certain amount of times so that nothing bad will happen. I had it since i was 5 and now am 44 which shows how weak i am in a way, it comes on in times of stress. Thanks for posting and happy 2012

Re: Why now ???? Illness makes me panic

Hi bling yep im 42 so we are about the same generation my friend of great music and great times when life seemed a little less complicated and easier or just maybe it was because we were young hang in there buddy i dont and nor would anyone else see you as weak , us folks i think tbh are more gutsy than weak as we keep fighting it and charging on , i think for someone to still be battling it 44yrs later is something you should take pride in and comfort in and you are strong natured to keep fighting it and to that i say well done mate

Thread Information