Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blocking negative thoughts out

Blocking negative thoughts out

Sometimes I feel like I hear different advice about this. Because blocking thoughts about my life feels like I'm not being honest with myself. Yet when I think and let the thoughts flow freely I sometimes end up feeling even more unhappy about everything.

So is it possible that its better to acknowledge a negative thought and try to do something about it rather than just try to block it out?, and then its like that thought has not been dealt with.

Re: Blocking negative thoughts out

I think thats the method they try to get you to do in CBT, but I personally dont think its a great idea. It makes me feel like the thoughts have power when I try to force them out or repress them. Instead now I try to encourage and then laugh at negative or destructive or even intrusive thoughts - it has worked for me! ( I get fewer negative thoughts when I dont try to fight them.)

Obv this is just my opinion and some people do better telling their brain not to think certain things and blocking them out so I think its trial and error.

In the past I've treated them the same way as when I get a song stuck in my head - I have to finish the song, get to the end (or as much as I know of it), or listen to it, sing it out loud.

A few years ago I started writing them down or thinking them through to the end, taking them as far as I could so that the particular thought process was over, I'd seen it to its conclusion.

I find that the more I fight my thoughts the more persistant they are (I don't know if this is what they suggest in CBT as I haven't started mine yet), but I wouldn't fight off a pleasurable or happy thought (although maybe I should and see if they become more persistant ).

I guess the only way to find out what works for you is to try different techniques.

Im using Dr Clare Weekes book Essential help for your nerves. She describes it down to a T. The thought is just a thought.....you are not scared of the thought you are scared of the reaction it provokes in you. That yukky anxiety feeling rising and making you feel sick to your stomach. Dont do ANYTHING about the thought, dont try and repress it, dont let it flow...just ignore it, act like it doesnt matter. Accept that these will come and go but do not allow it to provoke this reaction in you. When you feel the panic rising, literally sag....let all muscles relax as much as you can. This sends your brain the signal that your body is not reacting the way the intrusive thought 'thought' it would. Your body will become so used to this and basically the intrusive thought gets 'bored' because it is no longer getting the reaction it craves. It honestly works I have been doing this for a few weeks and the intrusive thoughts are hardly there anymore...or if they are I dont notice them!! xx

Kaidensmum thats brilliant advice, I'm reading that Claire Weekes book but not got into it properly yet, only just read first couple of pages so I'm looking forward to getting to those parts about intrusive thoughts, and it makes perfect sense too.

Thanks for all the advice, my CBT teaches me to write thoughts down and then to combat them with alternative and more realistic thoughts, this has helped somewhat. It is a learning process though.

Hi, I have the most terrible negative thoughts, especially in the mornings. I think it has become a habit to think them but they still cause me terrible fear and i end up getting really tearful. I find it really difficult as I have an 11 year old daughter and dont like her to see me upset. I am afraid I am going to have to live like this forever which is just another negative thought. Claire Weekes book is very good and she says to accept how you feel for now which I hope will get easier to do with time.

I hate being in the house as you seem to have more time to think then although there are lots of jobs to be done!!

Harvestmouse, you're trying to undo years of self-taught thinking. You are changing your programming and its very tough - i'm finding it hard going too. If it's easy, you're probably doing it wrong.

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

I too find the best way to deal with negative thoughts is to just accept them and let them pass-the worst thing for me is to dwell on them and worse still challenge them and try to rationalise them.I also find it useful to have a comforting word or phrase to keep repeating until a more agreeable thought comes along
    Best wishes
    John

Imagine you in a coridor. Your thoughts are other people and they always rush towards you. When the anxiety is overwhelming, its a stampede of thoughts that knocks you down. If you try to block them out, you are pulling a gate across before they get to you, but they are still there rattling the gate and clawaing and screaching.
    Or, you could let them run, but step aside from the coridor into an alcove and watch them run by until the last one is through.
    All thoughts want to do is get from one end of the coridor to the other. You can get run over, block them or let them go pass.
    I think it is better to let them pass, and meditation helps me with this as you are in a relaxed state and you can see thoughts as just thoughts and watch them float by. Its a liberating feeling.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information