Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: social anxiety

Over the last few weeks ive been trying to work on ways to overcome this problem.since im not the only one with this problem,i thought id share my idea.one method ive been using is to try to focus my attention outwards,externally rather than inward focus on the way i walk.this may seem pretty obvious but when i walk down the street i try to look at things around me and try and focus on those things.it might work for some people with this issue.
    As hard as ive been trying, its not doing anything for me,thats why im writing this post.
    Im sure there must be some way to overcome this.

Hi Uk guy, I think you are right. The other day I set out on my short journey to work, I only had to go across the road and into the next street to meet a friend who I walk to work with. She got the day mixed up and thought she was meeting me somewhere else. When I realized what had happened I carried on walking wondering which direction she would go? Would she be waiting for me at the shop? Should I just carry on to work or would she be waiting and be late herself?

Anyway by the time I had thought about all these things I was almost at work and met her on the way. My point is I was so busy thinking about other things I forgot to panic! Ok I was panicking a bit about missing my friend but as I'm sure you will know its a different sort of panic than walking on my own.

Normally when I go out all I can think about is the actual act of walking on my own, not about where I'm going, why I'm going there etc.

As you said it helps to concentrate on external things, its not always easy though is it? If you find anything that helps you along the way I'd love to know.

Take care

Di x

Hi uk guy,
    When i didn't have nooooo confidence at tall i felt just like you.
    But i'm a bit more confident now and i walk on my own and feel
    a bit anxious but not so much.
    Do you walk alot of the time on your own??
    x

e chant

hi emma, i used to walk lots on my own but then i started avoiding it, because by the time i got to where i wos going i wos so anxious it felt unbearable. But i knew that avoiding walking on my own wouldnt solve the problem,cos id still be anxious the next time i had to do it.
    For me,i know that even talking about a problem can help a little bit.And just a few weeks ago i went nearly 2 weeks without feeling at all anxious.
    So i know that im improving.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information