Thread: Frustrated! Why can I sleep some nights and not at all on other nights?

Frustrated! Why can I sleep some nights and not at all on other nights?

Hello Forum members

Hope you are as well as can be on a thoroughly miserable day (weather wise)

Bit down this morning, after a good night sleep the night before, had a really poor nights sleep last night. I don't understand why the Mirtz works on some nights and other nights I have the same crap sleeping pattern? So many of you on here seem to work well with it.

I was anxious before I went to sleep in the evening and tend to be on the nights that i don't end up getting a good nights sleep.

I know the key is to control my anxiety and not let it overwhelm me, but its so hard at times.

I guess the fact it works on some nights is a sign that I should stick with it and try and cause the underlying issue, my anxiety about not getting enough sleep.

Sorry if this post doesn't make much sense, but just venting

If any of you can share your sleep stories (especially where they have been up and down) that might help me have more faith.

Thanks in advance.

Nahdia

Re: Frustrated! Why can I sleep some nights and not at all on other nights?

I know just how you feel. I had a rubbish night last night. I wasn't exactly nervous, but I could not shut my brain off. I was going round and round thinking about my upcoming visit to see my Dad in America and while I want to see him (it's been 10 years!) I do not need all the anxiety that comes from travelling and staying with family who hasn't bothered to keep in touch or lifted a finger to come see me and my kids but are hospitality itself now I'v expressed a wish to come back and visit. Anyway, then I heard the wind last night and was worried the tree in nextdoor's garden would topple over and land in my daughter's window so I brought her into bed with me. Just could not sleep last night. I eventually dropped off about 5am and got 4 hours sleep. We all have bad nights, but it will get better.

Thanks Mum83

Im just in such a vicious circle about my sleep and frustrated that the Mirtz doesn't work for me as well as it does for other people. Even as I type this I know its a stupid thing to be frustrated at. In the end, all medications work differently for people, I know that.

I was just talking to my brother and he said i should focus on the positives, that the Mirtz is making me sleep most days, not all the time, but its better than how bad it was for me before. I was going days without sleeping a wink.

I have work tomorrow and was off for most of December which is why I think I was stressed, worried that i wont sleep, will be crap at work, wont be able to perform and then start feeling shit again, a vicious cycle...

I can imagine how stressful the trip to the states will be, but good on you for going through with it.

Are you still taking Mirtz? Ive noticed that you were on a 7.5mg dose, have you found that more sedating than 15mg. Has it ever failed to put you to sleep?

Nahdia

Hi Nahdia,
    Yes I'm on 7.5 mg and the first few weeks on it, I had restless nights where I would wake up in the night (but not panicking like I used to) and sometimes I had nightmares. Now I'm doing pretty good, just couldn't sleep last night although it wasn't an anxious feeling--I just couldn't shut my brain off. I'm sure you will settle on them in time. xx

I've been on 15mg to date - review tomorrow - and initially slept better than I have done for years. The last week has been very different though, not excessively anxious at night but just not able to sleep. Is it the

Hi, I'm not on mirtazapine but I can sympathise with your sleeping problems. I can go for 4/5 nights in a row without my sleeping pills and sleep great! So why haven't I been able to sleep great for the last 5/6 nights and that's with my sleeping pills??

I spent the other day being absolutely shattered, eyes were stinging with tiredness and couldn't wait to go to bed, then after tossing and turning for two hours had to get up and take sleeping pill. It's annoying,

Its a vicious circle for all of us I think. The more I think and obsess about sleep, the more it becomes an issue.

That is why I need to work on the underlying issue here through therapy I suspect, the underlying anxiety, that will make me obsess less about things.

Today was my first day back at work, slept okayish ( I tend to be very pessimistic about my sleep, double guessing about how much I have actually slept).

Have a good team at work and some fantastic friends who are keeping a lookout for me. I know I should be thankful for such blessings.

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated.

Nahdia

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Sorry Eden, only half your message has come through.

Nahdia

When you feel anxious before sleep, what is going on in your mind.

Are you thinking about something in particular? Or do you find you've got lots of thoughts spinning around / busy mind?

There are things you can do to try and calm your mind down before sleep to give yourself a better chance of sleep on those nights.

Have you tried meditation at all? Just something simple like concentrating on your breathing can really help.

If there is something specifically you're worrying about, you could try writting it down to sort of get it out of your head.

I normally meditate and I've also got some sleeping CD things for worst case scenarios.

Nahdia. Hello. I wish that I could empathise with you. My problem is the exact opposite of your own : I find great difficulty in staying awake! (When most of the time I want to sleep, or carry on sleeping. Indeed I can tell you that I have spent more of my life asleep, than I have in being awake!)

I am sorry that I cannot help you further.

Thread Information