Thread: stupid irrational thoughts taking over my mind

Unhappy stupid irrational thoughts taking over my mind

Hey there...

I have really struggled with thinking irrational thoughts.. It sounds so stupid considering I have never actually gone as far as sex..but I keep thinking I might be pregnant. I know it's impossible but to me it feels so real and I'm so afraid. I have even taken my period and everything. I don't even want to buy a pregnancy test because 1)I know it's irrational and a waste of money and 2)I won't believe it even if it tells me i'm not...

Any advice? I'm feeling so down and desperate.

Re: stupid irrational thoughts taking over my mind

Hi, Its just a classic ocd thought that you are having, Same as all the others.
    Making you doubt things with the intention of causing fear. They all follow this path. If you buy into the thoughts it just makes them worse and they stick harder. Try to just accept that you have this thought, the thought itself is not hurting you and you know its not true. Dont try to get rid of the thought, just realise that it is ocd and thats all the attention it needs. If you can do this the thought will just go away because it is no longer getting the reaction that it wants (doubt and fear)
    Hope this helps, i know its really hard, all we can do is try.
    Take care
    Sarah

Oh dear I can't imagine how that must feel! Have you been anywhere near sperm even if you haven't had sex?

I am a guy - and whenever I have sex with a girl I think that she would get pregnant, even if we only indulge in protected foreplay. The more i try to avoid the thoughts deeper i go into it. Currently I am under medications and they have helped me a lot. Its so strange that medicines could bring the rationality back.

OCD is linked to chemicals in your brain, it is no surprise that medications can help.

This is a classic OCD, best thing to do is live with the doubt, even egg it on and say "yea, I could be pregnant" repeat the word or thought over and over until you get bored. Your anxiety may rise at the start but it will go down...

the more you try to suppress or logically answer the doubt the more power it will hold over you.
    We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Thread Information