Thread: intrusive thoughts?

Unhappy intrusive thoughts?

Hi everyone,
    Im new to this but i want to start out by telling my story. About 3 weeks ago i started at a new job and was really anxious on the first day of work. I'm working for my best friends dad who is like a father to me, but thats besides the point. anyways, on the second day i had an image of stabbing my friend when we were at lunch and this horrified me. i would never think to do such a thing. disgusted me. for a week thats all i could think about when i was with him. now i dont think about that, now its directed towards my girlfriend which is even worse. and now its hard to even text her. im depressed now because of these thoughts. and now im having thoughts of being a pedo. everytime i see a young person on tv i feel guilty. i would never do or enjoy anything so disgusting. i think the fact that all the jerry sandusky stuff on tv has put that in my brain. but now i cant stop thinking about it and it sickens me. i went to the doctor and she put me on an ssri. its been about 12 days since i started taking it. is this going to get better or worse? please share your insight.

thanks a lot!

Re: intrusive thoughts?

I have intrusive thoughts abouts lots of weird things for example I kept thinking my last boyfriend might kill me even though it was completely ridiculous. I currently am suffering from depression thanks to anxiety and so my intrusive thought now is about ending up in a psychiatric ward or worse!

They are completely irrational and it is anxiety and OCD. These are thoughts which are completely out of you're character which is why you are so frightened off them! You are not a bad person.

I have just started taking citalopram so I will let you know whether this helps with the thoughts as I have read elsewhere it does! I'm also going to begin CBT after having some talking therapy. I'll let you know how that goes too!

I never knew that anxiety was causing these thoughts, I have had them myself and have been very worried about some of the thoughts. Some were of a violent nature and also some of a sexual nature, I hate it when it happens because it makes me feel very uncomfortable and like I am going mad.

I have never wanted to even think about this stuff but it just comes and I have to just ignore it.

personally I blame all the crap on TV no wonder we have intrusive thoughts when we,re being bombarded with so much sex and violence.Ive even stopped watching News,in fact anything that has doom and gloom,gore,violence etc.Ive been watching lots of Comedy and it has helped loads.
    I have come to terms with the fact that they are JUST intrusive thoughts and i would never act on them.The early days of meds made them worse,so just hang in there,you should start to feel a bit better in a few more weeks

Thread Information