Thread: To breathe or not to breathe!

To breathe or not to breathe!

Hi

Am experiencing the breathing problem side of anxiety at the moment, which isn't much fun! It feels like my breathing is very shallow and that every breath is an effort and that I may stop breathing.

I know that it is physically impossible to stop breathing and this can be evidenced when we continue breathing when asleep but the symptom is still very unpleasant, especially as it causes insomnia.

I went to my doctor and he said that I should use an asthma inhaler when the symptoms come along but they are not the same as asthma symptoms, ie wheezing. My airways feel clear but the breathing is just quite shallow and laboured.

I would say this is the worst anxiety symptom of all - that could cause quite a debate! Although my reasons for saying it is that it is one of the harder symptoms to prove and it also triggers off others, such as a rapid heartbeat and dizzy spells.

Anyway thanks for listening and I hope you're all well.

Chris

Hey breateon,
    The breathin symptoms are very very hard but u can learn to control them! I have learnt and now very rarely 'cant breath'. Just try relaxin (hard i know) and remindin urself u have anxiety and here we go again!!
    U already know u cant just stop breathin so just remind urself that everytime the shallow breathin comes!! U can control ur symptoms!
    Ammegxxx

Hi Chris,

Do you know how to do the breathing exercises? Practising these will help you overcome this problem - you should do them at least twice a day for several weeks however you feel so that these symptoms are far less likely to reappear.

I breathe in through my nose to a count of 4 and exhale likewise.

You can always phone the No Panic helpline so you have someone actually telling you how to if that seems easier. 0808 808 0545

I know how difficult it is to relax and break out of this, but it is possible, and suddenly you can relax!

Cheers,

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

chris sounds like you may very well be hyperventilating as many of us do

lisa reccomends a very good book on this by dinah bradley called the hyperventilation syndrome

give it a go it could explain alot

jackie

Hi - Im the same - asthmatic and hyperventilate a lot and panic I cant get a breath in - I try hard to drop my shoulderse and instead of pulling my tummy in (coz Im fat) I relax my tummy and push it out as I breathe in and pull it in as I breathe out - sounds daft and I feel fat pushing my tummy out but Id rather look fat and breathe comfortably!!!!!

Good luck.love wenjoy x

Thread Information