Thread: what comes first, anxiety or physical symptoms?

what comes first, anxiety or physical symptoms?

As we all know, anxiety can cause many different and weird physical symptoms. the question is what do you think come first? i mean, sometimes i feel relaxed and still get many anxiety symptoms ugthoht the day. Like yesterday, i was feeling great, Friday night, played some poker with a few friends when suddenly i got all weak, dizzy and spacey out of nowhere.
    Sometimes i wake up in the morning and before i even think about anxiety i get dizzy and other anxiety symptoms...

The question is, how the hell anxiety can cause me to feel dizzy all day, when sometimes i don't even feel anxious?

Re: what comes first, anxiety or physical symptoms?

Well I was told by my doctors that it was anxiety if the anxiety came first followed by the symptoms. The problem now is that it is so automated I can hardly decide if I have the symptoms first or the anxiety. The process seems to have blended in to each other.

Mee

I get both occurences happening.
    If anxiety comes first the symptoms soon follow and if I have the symptoms first, anxiety will catch them up.

It is very scary having the symptoms with no obvious cause of panic, I find these are the instances where it is harder to tell ourselves that it is infact our anxiety playing with our minds. xx

Chicken or egg....logically, it's symptoms first which then cause concern which escalates into panic?

I had physical symptoms that were diagnosed as anxiety. I regularly get the physical symptoms before that all too familiar sinking feeling kicks in. I don't know which is worse.

This time aroung (this is my third "bout" after being medicated for many years), I got many physical symtoms before I noticed any of the more mental ones (like mind chatter etc).

I didn't associated many of the physical symtoms with anxiety, like having a burnt tongue feeling, visual problems and heart palps until the mind chatter kicked in, these all occurred separately over a few months, but there were very odd instances of mind chatter during that period that I tried to dismiss.

what do you mean by mind chatter i am new to this and i think that im going crazy i feel spaced out and not really here all the time does this sound like anxiety

My first panic attack was the physical symptoms first, which then resulted in the actual panic attack. A lot of panic attacks are unexpected so it isn't uncommon for the symptoms to come first.

Panic attack comes first,usually out of the blue,but when I look back,I can see the weeks leading up to it,I was very depressed and had alot of worrying thoughts.After the panic attack comes intense anxiety and sometimes even more panic attacks,then it becomes a viscious cycle,so Im still not sure which comes first....just wish theyd BOTH do one!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elvin View Post
    what do you mean by mind chatter i am new to this and i think that im going crazy i feel spaced out and not really here all the time does this sound like anxiety
    Hi Elvin
    Generally most people refer to "mind chatter" as where you can't turn your brain off, you can't stop thinking, usually about the same things over and over, these thoughts may even make it hard for you to get to sleep.

Sometimes it's normal worries, but for many (like me) they can become obsessional, distressing thoughts, or thoughts raging so fast you just can't slow them down and your mind doesn't give you time to relax. You may not be able to think normally (or think "straight"), or even have normal thoughts.

If you do a quick search for "mind chatter" you'll find a fair few posts on NMP.

Thread Information