Thread: Help with Propranolol

Help with Propranolol

I have been taking 20mg Propranolol for 2 weeks, now, 1 tablet morning and night, they seemed to be helping as I wasn't eating or sleeping but this started to get better, but I have noticed the last two days that 2 hours after taking the morning one I am feeling very very tense, so much that my shoulders ache and I feel like throwing something. Has anyone else experienced this, my doctor told me to take 2 a day but on the box it says up to 4 a day as required, I am wondering if the tablets are making me worse or should I take more?

Re: Help with Propranolol

That's really a question for your Dr

I take 20mg twice a day and have never felt those symptoms from that med, everyone is different though.

Hi Mallan, How long have you taken the tablets for and do you find they are a help with anxiety? maybe I haven't given them long enough to do a good job yet.

Well, I passed my driving test on them

They only helped with the physical side of things i.e. racing heart, shaking, jelly legs etc but they are not for the mental side of things. So, you would still have the 'fear' or panic but you're body won't react.

I still take them but I find I only take them out of habit now as I am fluoxetine which has taken my anxiety and panic away.

They're an instant drug so to speak, they are not like an SSRI! It may take time to get used to them but you should feel instant relief. . . . Physically remember not mentally.

Hope that helps

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

I didn't really answer your question did I?

I've been taking them on and off since April 2010 and no I don't find they help with my mental anxiety just the physical symptoms anxiety produces.
    Last edited by mallan82450; 08-01-12 at 16:17. Reason: Typo

Thanks for your reply, I think I may be better off with something that tackles the mental anxiety, mine all started back at the beginning of November when I had a bad type of food poisoning and after all the test the doctor now thinks I am suffering with anxiety as I worry every time I eat and I am finding it very hard to relax, I don't know why it has affected me like this but I wish I could get rid of it. Well done at passing your driving test.

Maybe try other methods first . . . CBT? Relaxation? Hypnosis?

I tried most therapies before I tried anti-depressants.

Good luck.

Thanks, I was thinking about hypnosis, I also made an appointment with a psychoanalyst (not sure about the spelling) and then cancelled it, I wonder if it would have helped?

Thread Information