Thread: No motivation or energy...

No motivation or energy...

Hi, I'm not really sure why I'm feeling the way I'm feeling. Could be lots of reasons, I guess? I should be feeling great as I have lots to look forward to with the uni course I'm doing and lots of goals Im trying to aspire to... the world is my oyster as they say....

..... But suddenly I'm feeling so so low and today I didn't get out of bed at all... I also have M.E. / Chronic fatigue (although its not very severe) and lately my energy levels and general wellbeing has been getting worse instead of better... but the less energy I have, the less motivated I become and the less motivated I become, the less energy I have, etc... it feels like a vicious circle!!!

I've been on anti-depressants since I was 16 (I'm 28 now) although they've been changed a few times. I'm single and have been 'unlucky in love' for many hers so a lot of the time I feel lonely, even though my friends keep telling me they can't understand why I'm single and that I'm pretty, etc....

..... I just don't believe them though and don't feel confident about finding someone... whats wrong with me?? I should be feeling great!!! Any advice? Or people feeling similar things??

Thanks,

Erin.

Re: No motivation or energy...

Hi Erin, I have CFS/ME too, as well as suffering from anxiety and depression, but like you manage to function not too badly as long as I am careful not to overdo things. Round about November time I was feeling the same way as you are. I decided to invest in one of those lights you can buy for seasonal affective disorder. I wasn't feeling particularly depressed but very lethargic.

I can't guarantee it will work for anyone else but it's made a huge difference to me, to the point where I'm currently working 12 days in a row and while I'm tired, I'm coping.

A lot of these lights are between £100-£200 and more so I'd always been put off. However, I bought one that's available for £40-50. I was pretty sceptical that this small, cheap version would work - but it has.

If you can afford to, I'd seriously consider getting one. If you're interested drop me a PM and I'll send you a couple of links. Hope you feel better soon xx

She said, I'm tired of the war
    I want the kind of work I had before

Thanks Jane - That's definitely something to consider!! I've thought about it many times but like you, have always been sceptical and put off by the cost. But def worth looking into....

.... Im glad to hear you've been coping well and things are good at the moment! Best wishes!

Erin

Hi Erin

As a graduate I once thought "uni' was a too-good-to-miss opportunity. Now having a degree is a good thing. But what I found was that pastoral care and making like-minded friends did all but elude me since I have always been something of a square peg in around hole because of mood swings, anxiety etc. That said, it is good to be busy with the coursework but I would say on no account let the course material get under your skin. !!! Some of the material I read at University was whacky and really could precipitate people into despair !!!! But I must emphasis it's good once you get that degree since it is useful for employment etc.

Claire Weeks has produced some wonderful material .... both books and audio tapes ... that are so enlightening. Maybe you could look into this ?

Hope this helps ....Oh , and my degree ??? B.A. (Hons) Plaigairism

---------- Post added at 06:53 ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 ----------

Jane thank you for the tip about the Lamp. So excited to hear that it worked for you. Thank you, Vince

I half chronic fatigue too from in diagnosed glandular fever ad I'm convinced it's what's caused my anxiety and subsequent depression. Nice to find other people who know what I'm experiencing!

I'm now thinking of investing in a light box. I bought cheap one (i mean cheap cheap) that is meant to recreate dawn as I get up in the dark but it hasn't really worked. I don't even notice it!

Quote Originally Posted by clc View Post
    I half chronic fatigue too from in diagnosed glandular fever ad I'm convinced it's what's caused my anxiety and subsequent depression. Nice to find other people who know what I'm experiencing!

I'm now thinking of investing in a light box. I bought cheap one (i mean cheap cheap) that is meant to recreate dawn as I get up in the dark but it hasn't really worked. I don't even notice it!
    Thats quite a sensible theory Catherine. Glandular Fever affects the Endocrine System ie: glands. All of the things that bother us like for instance seratonin, adrenaline, noradrenaline, norepinephrine and others that havent even been named yet are part of the Endocrine System.
    You're quite a clever lass

Ooh Mr W knows his stuff! I've heard a lot of people who have ME/CFS suffer from depression so I assumed it was that. I didn't realise glandular fever effected seratonin etc. learn something new everyday! Anxiety is also in my genes as both my sisters suffer although I did get it worse.

Thank you for your responses! Swanlinnet - Thanks for your advice re uni. I'm loving the course and although it's really stressful and I struggle physically with it at the most stressful points, its giving me a huge lift and I'm feeling a bit better now that I know I'm going back on Monday. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate the chance to go back and learn again and to gain a really valuable qualification. It's great and really love to meet people and students from all over the globe. The course is in marketing too so its really practical, vocational and relevant to the outside world / industry. Hope you're getting on well yourself.

Thanks to others for advice re CFS, etc. I'm sorry to hear about the glandular fever - it does make sense when you mention the glands and how it affects us. I hope you're managing to get some help with it all and feeling a bit better. CFS can definitely be the result of a viral infection, etc but it also should give you hope that it'll eventually hopefully leave your system and you'll be able to build yourself back up again! I wish all of you all the best - thanks again for the comments.

Erin

Thread Information