Thread: Panic about needing to get to a bathroom

Panic about needing to get to a bathroom

Hi all,

My issue is not wanting to have to get to a bathroom while in any situation where it would draw a lot of attention.

Right before I got to middle school, I had an accident and wet my pants near the end of the school day. Not THAT big of a deal for a 4th grader, but it really scared me. I feel like this is where it all started. During 5th grade, I would ask the teacher if I could go to the bathroom in almost every class - I felt like I couldn't hold it anymore. Of course, my classmates noticed, and thought I was doing it to get out of class.

While it faded in a couple years, when I started high school it combined with a fear of throwing up in the classroom/public. Again, faded. My first year of college, it came back, but then I adjusted and also came out of the closet...so it faded again.

I've been fine for years, but recently had an event where I felt like I was going to throw up while driving home, and of course started to panic. I'm wondering if it's tied to recently losing a 2-yr relationship and being very overworked ... or if the car event just renewed the fear. I had to leave a restaurant last night because my stomach was bothering me from being empty, and then I started to worry I was going to get sick, so I panicked.

I tell myself to calm down, it's all in my head. But then that nagging little thought hits where I think "Maybe in this case I do actually have flu/food poisoning/etc and really am going to throw up" and I can't shut that off. I just don't want to allow this to escalate to the point where I'm afraid to go anywhere I can't easily get to a bathroom.

Re: Panic about needing to get to a bathroom

Hi There. I also get this so much so its now a full blown a fear of even going to a restaurant with friends or family incase i get this awful feeling...... all linked to my anxiety.
    Hope you can over come your fear of being sick, it really is the worst feeling xx

Hi Davey,

I know exactly how you feel - I'm the same.

I can't eat if I know I have to go out, I can't go out if I feel unwell, I panic if I'm somewhere I can't leave without people noticing.

The fear of being sick in public is awful. I've had it for years and years, and the intensity of it frightens me.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like

x

If your sick your sick, its a natural act that happens when the body has had enough or needs to cleanse, your worried about what others think by the look of it.

Thats fine as long as you accept that this is only a part of how you are now and not something that defines you as a person, then you are half way there.

Accepting what can happen removes the fear of it happening, catastrophising is all that IS actually happening, you said yourself nothing like this has happened for a long time.

Your spinning on a rock in the middle of space, dont beat yourself up so much, let go.

William Butler Yeats

MY STORY: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42149

I have the same problem although I suffer from social anxiety and crohn disease so its a bit of a nightmare some days.

Keep smiling though x

I also have this problem, of not being able to get to the bathroom, as I feel nauseous quite often and have trouble swallowing, along with dry mouth.

I can't eat if I go out incase I choke or it makes me ill, I'm petrified of being sick on the train or in a restaurant in case I have to clean my own sick or people look at me like I'm crazy. It's pretty irrational as I'm sure no one would have that reaction, and it's not even happened to me before.

I tell myself that I don't really feel sick and I take things slowly, if I do have to eat I order something small and take my time. Breathing helps too, deep and steady when the thoughts start to build up

Safe in the womb of an everlasting night, you find the darkness can give the brightest light.
    Safe in your place deep in the earth, that's when they'll know what you were really worth.

Thread Information