Thread: adoption and anxiety

adoption and anxiety

I'm not sure if anyone can help here, but my husband and I are seriously thinking about looking into adoption. I am concerned that because I've had 3 episodes of anxiety and depression it might affect our application. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of adoption or could offer any advice?
    Thanks
    love Helen

Sorry I dont have any answers for you, but your anxiety and depression, is this due to not being able to have children? A personal question I know. But I thought if it was then, that may go for you in an adoption case, as adopting may help you.

PM me if you feel more comfortable.

Good luck in your decision

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

Hello Emma
    Thanks for your reply. I think I probably can have children, I don't know, my husband and myself have never 'actively' tried!! We both feel strongly about adoption (I work in a school in a deprived area with a lot of kids in care and would love to offer a child/children like that a stable home. We thought about fostering at first but I think I would find that too difficult. I guess we contact social services, be honest and go from there.
    Thanks again
    Love Helen

Hi Helen,

2 of my close friends have adopted children, and i wouldnt like to say yes or no to your question, but you go through so many different screening processes, you have to have references from people who know you, so that would go in your favour, the amount of forms meetings etc that you go to i'm sure that it would not be a deciding factor,

good luck, you could always talk it over with your gp first see what they think, but i really doubt that it would be an issue

kairen x

Thanks Kairen
    Love Helen

Re: adoption and anxiety

Don't know the answer but my husband and I have thought about that ourselves and don't know if worth applying due to my anxiety and depression which reccurs every few years. I have to take meds for it so maybe this wouldn't go in our favour.

Thread Information