Thread: Spotting between periods

Spotting between periods

I'm new here, but not new to HA. (And also been reading the forum for some time.)

I'm in the middle of a flare up of HA, mainly because I have some spotting between periods (I'm not on the pill). I had reassured myself that it was probably caused by stress (as I had read that stress can cause this) while I waited for my GP appointment. Just had my GP appointment and she told me to book another appointment to have some swabs taken, to look at my cervix and to have another smear (last one two years ago). If that doesn't show anything then she will send me for an ultrasound and if that doesn't show anything then I will get a referal to a gynae. Well, from feeling ok before my appointment, I now feel in a total state of panic. I think the shear amount of things it could be makes it feel quite over-whelming and the smear test particularly worries me.

Should I be worried? I know that it could be something harmless like fibroids and the GP is clearly being thorough (having no idea about my HA), but I always tend to think of the worse case scenario. The two occasions I have had spotting have been completely different as well which confuses me all the more. Apologies in advance for TMI ... on the first occasion (in December) it was a dark brownish red a few days before my period started. On the second occasion (last week) it was bright red and a couple of days after my period ended. Anyone had anything like this before?

Thanks

SC x

Re: Spotting between periods

You can spot when you ovulate... which is inbetween periods... i had it in November, about 10 days after my period had finished... i went to doc who told me it was hormomes.. then i didnt get a period for 7wks after that.. but i am 45 and could be perimenopause im told .. ive just been told to keep a diary note of all my bleeding and periods, and then to go back in few months if im concerned.. had my last smear about year and half ago, which was clear. I really wouldnt worry, and like you say worrying causes it all to go irregualar too.x

I have also had spotting between my periods and similar to you the doctor has done swabs and an internal examination. It happened in nov and dec. I have been totally freaking out about it. The doctor told me to keep a note of when they appear and come back in a couple of months. I'm 33 so not sure what it could be but totally know what you feel like. Don't google - I did and it made my anxiety worse.

It's good to hear that others have had a similar thing and that it can just be hormonal. I'm 31 and have two young children (my youngest is 11 months so I guess my hormones could still be a bit unsettled from that).

I suppose this is getting to me because two friends have had abnormal smears a few years back and although I don't know all the ins and outs I know they had to go for various tests and have very regular smears for some time and I just always kept thinking if that happened to me I would be freaking out, but they coped really well. With all the talk of HPV as well, it justs gets me really worried. I'm going to have a smear test on Thursday. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results and if it's in any way abnormal do they call you or write to you?

Depends on county your in, results here in Somerset come back quicker than when i lived in Bedfordshire... If there was something serious, they would prob call you within a week or two...otherwise its usually a letter in post within 4-8wks... i got my last letter in about 4wks.

I had spotting between periods start when I was 36 and after all the tests that you might have to have I was told all was well and it was just hormonal and the very beginnings of peri. I would have the spotting for maybe 3months on and off then it would go away for up to 2 yrs then come back again on and off for a few months and everytime I panicked and had all the tests yet again! I was 45 when perimeno really hit and the spotting between periods was a walk in the park compared to the real thing.

99% chance that its caused by wonky hormones but its best to have the tests just so you have been completely covered and then you can stop worrying when it happens.

Thanks for the replies, they did really start to make me feel better and kept everything in perspective.

However, my mind is working over-time now. After relaxing, my mind has started to focus on another symptom and is now trying to link this with my other symptom. Along my perineum there is a patch of skin that feels kind of different, bumpier than the rest. I did have an episiotomy and stitches with my first child (five years ago) so wonder if it could be the scar from that, but it doesn't feel like it's in the right place to be that. Also, much of my perineum is sore, but I suffer with constipation so wonder if it's related to that or the soreness could be in my head (because I don't notice it all the time). But ... because I remember that HPV can cause issues in other areas of the body (not just the cervix) and because HPV is in the front of my mind at the moment, I'm wondering if this is a 'serious' symptom that I have ignored (I've noticed it for at least a couple of years). Am I once again panicking for no reason?

I had a four-year relationship with someone who cheated on me on several occasions and I worry so much that he could have given me something.

Should I mention this problem to my GP? I hate talking to doctors because as much as any symptom can drive me crazy, I know that my worries are usually out of proportion and I could appear to be slightly mad (and I really care about what other people think of me). I guess my problem is that I am unable to work out what is worth seeing a GP about and what is not.

Stress itself can cause spotting. I get it periodically but have been very stressed. I am just 41, but at the same time have been more regular than ever over the past few years with a spot at ovulation (exactly 14 days before next period), so hope I am not in peri. It is only when my stress is up that this happens. It is usually in the form of early spotting when I know that my period is coming but it takes a while for the period to start, but when it does it is normal. I had a spot of blood last week, but I think it was ovulation. I will tell next week if my period comes on the correct day.

When I was 21 I had spotting for three months. All due to stress. It really can put everything out of whack at any age.

I am sure all is well, as we are all pretty much stressed here.

Take care.

Thread Information