Thread: Floaters - bright light/ dark background

Floaters - bright light/ dark background

Hello. I suffer with eye floaters. I paid a visit to the optician a month ago, had my pupils dialated and was told that everything was fine.

I have recently noticed that when I cast my glare across a row of strip lights or fluorescent lighting, particularly against a dark background, something strange happens.

Part of the light goes 'blurred' as I cast my vision from left to right, or right to left.

I also find that when in a dark room and looking at something bright, if I move my eyes, I get a blurred patch that follow my gaze across the bright area.

Does anyone suffer from this? And do you think it's something to do with the floaters?

Thanks.

Re: Floaters - bright light/ dark background

Hate to say this but its completely normal for your eyes to do this as the bright light imprints on your retina and then as you move the eye it takes a second or so for your retina to go back to normal.

The time to worry is if you see streaks of flashes or flashing lights at the edge of your vision when you move your eye which is worse the darker the room or if you notice a blind spot in your vision that changes colour when you blink and is there when you close your eyes. These both show that your retina has a problem.

Floaters and other abnormalities will be evident to the hyper vigilant eye. You will notice everything but then you have convinced yourself that you live in a state of constant danger so your eyes are doing what your brain tells them - be alert! You are very attentive! Many people cant see them for trying. It's only because you are so used to being in a state of danger that you can see them.

Regards.

Hi. I've had floaters with exactly the same symptoms as you for years. I was really worried about them at first spending months thinking I had some serious eye complaint and was going blind. When i eventually plucoked up the courage to see an optician, she explained about them being dead cells in the liquid area of the eyes and said there was nothing to worry about. Most people have them but few notice. Since then, I've got used to them and really only notice them in bright light. As you've had an eye exam, I really wouldn't worry about them, unless they suddenly get a lot worse. X

Pipkin, I have exactly the same problem as you. I have been to the opticians about 3 times in the past year and they have all told me that my eyes are fine but I am still really panicky about it.

I have floaters (most noticeable on an overcast day/bright day but also like you say when I move my eyes left to right etc. over a bright light source). However I also see blue field phenomena when I look in the sky, it looks "weird" when I look at high contrast stripes/escalators/blinds etc. and there is a lot of glare and it is extremely bright on days like today.

I also think I am hypersensitive to things as I am noticing things which I wouldn't usually in the corners of my eyes and I am really aware of the "snow" in my vision when it is dark etc.

I really want this to be all down to anxiety because I want to be able to go out on a sunny day again and enjoy it instead of being afraid of the light/strange vision etc..

Is there anyone who has also experienced this and noticed it has got worse/better etc?

I often get most things mentioned here, had a eye test about a month back, was told eyes look fine, i think they would know if something was seriously wrong x

I appreciate you see them and that many many people do, but in my case it really is so noticeable and annoying that I cant forget about them sometimes even If I want to.

I have the same problems, my shower is white, so when I take a shower I notice like a sparkley flasshy thingy when i move my eye., I dont know what it is, and Im scared to find out. Ugh I hate worrying about every single thing in my life.

Hi GRH,

I have exactly the same issue. Floaters and narrow blurred patches that float in a counter motion to my eye movements when I am in poorly lit room and facing a source of light. I do hope those I just floaters.

It's been 5 years, how are you feeling now?

Thread Information